This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

This weeks Campus Profile is dedicated to our Marketing Director, Irais. When she isn’t planning fun events for the Her Campus team and school, she is busy being the president of Pyromaniacs. Read on to find out more about her favorite places to eat around campus, why she decided to come to UIC and a little bit of her study abroad experience this past summer. 

Name: Irais Elizarraraz

Year: Junior

Hometown: Harvard, IL

Major: Marketing with a minor in International Business

Birthday: June 22, 1996

Heritage: Mexican

Hobbies: Proactive in my affiliations (clubs), traveling, family/friend bonding

HC: What are some of your favorite places to eat around UIC?

I love the Pilsen area for good eats! My parents visit me on Sundays for family lunchtime with a full plate of solid Mexican cuisine. Also I love the churros from the Maxwell Flea Market (Xurros)! 

HC: Why did you decide to come to UIC?

I knew I wanted to study business and internships had to be in the mix. Being in the hub of Chicago, finding opportunities is such a blessing for us. UIC has a great business program here and I’m grateful to have been awarded scholarships for attending here as well.

HC: What is something you wish was different about UIC?

Definitely by far the school culture in terms of spirit. I love who I am and the associated people/places I take pride in being apart of. I wish more students had that same mindset. I like a sense of unity and the sight of people enjoying the community they’re apart of.

HC: What clubs are you involved in?

I’m currently the Marketing Director for this cool club called Her Campus, check them out! I also hold the position of President for UIC Pyromaniacs which is the official sports marketing club for all UIC sports events.

HC: Tell us a little bit more about Pyromaniacs.

We focus on marketing to the student body to increase game attendance and school spirit. We have weekly brainstorming meetings to help achieve our goals by creating a desire to be at the games. Our mission is to implicate solid game environments as UIC memories.

HC: What’s some advice you can give to freshmen coming into college about managing their time with school and extracurricular activities?

Netflix is the enemy. I don’t think I can go one day without watching my current series, but you have to limit yourself. Make a checklist everyday (life saver), buy a pretty looking planner so you feel inclined to keep organized, join clubs with friends so they motivate you to go, and take limited naps. We’re only here a short time, four years goes by crazy fast.

HC: How was your summer studying abroad?

OMG, the best time of my life! I still can’t believe I experienced all the things I did while in Barcelona and surrounding countries. I stepped in the same cobble streets in Rome as Lizzie McGuire, rode a camel in Africa, and had the best birthday with loved ones! The memories and friendships I created out there will always have a special place in my heart. For sure going on another Euro trip soon, whether I have the funding or not, I’ll make it work.

Hi, I'm Daniela. I'm a Sociology major with a minor in Criminology and Business Administration. I have been involved with Her Campus since my freshmen year, working in editorial, marketing, and social media. As president of Her Campus UIC, I am excited to see our chapter grow throughout my last year here.
UIC Contributor.