Blog: Sweet & Spicy Chicken and Fried Rice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

If I were to choose one comfort food that I love the most, I would pick fried rice. Growing up, fried rice was always the “to go” meal. Whether it was an afterschool snack, lunch or even dinner, fried rice was always the quickest meal to make. Sweet and Spicy chicken is always a nice addition to a side dish like fried rice. The chicken is crispy on the outside and juicy in the inside. The sauce adds a nice spice and sweet tang. Just so perfect! 

*Serves 1-2

Prep time: 20 minutes

Cook time: 35 minutes

Ingredients:

3 large eggs

3 large green scallions

3-4 cloves of garlic

3 tbsp of carrot diced

3-4 tbsp of red and orange pepper diced

small onion diced

1 ½ cup of overnight cooked rice

10 tbsp of flour

1 large piece of chicken thigh

Soy sauce

Salt and Pepper

Onion Powder

Thai Sweet Chili Sauce( Mae Ploy Brand)

4 cups of peanut or vegetable oil

Chicken:

1)   First, marinade the chicken with soy sauce and pepper. (you can do this the night before)

2)   In a large pot, heat up about 4 cups of oil.

3)   In a large bowl, combine half of the flour, salt and pepper, garlic powder, and an egg.

4)   With the remaining flour, coat the chicken pieces with said flour.

5)   Next, coat the chicken pieces in the wet batter.

6)   When the oil is hot, cook the chicken pieces (make sure you cook in batches or the temperature of the oil will drop).

7)   When the chicken is fully cooked, place each piece on top of a wired rack.

8)   After letting the chicken cool for about 2-3 minutes, add the Thai sweet chili sauce and mix well. 

Rice:

1.     In a large skillet, scramble 2 eggs and set aside on a clean plate.

2.     Next, add the onion, peppers, and carrots and sauté for about 5 minutes.

3.     When the vegetables are tender, add the rice and stir-fry for about 4-5 minutes (the heat should be on high at this point).

4.     After 5 minutes, add the cooked egg, soy sauce, salt and pepper, and a handful of green scallions. Stir-fry on high heat for another 3-4 minutes.

5.     Turn off the heat and Enjoy! 

Jessica Wu is attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a senior majoring in Accounting. Her expected graduation date will be Fall of 2015. She loves to watch the food network and cook.
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.