Blog: Creamy Baked Chicken Pasta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Are you having one of those days where you are just craving a big bowl of pasta? I love making pasta dishes at home because pasta dishes that I’ve seen in restaurants are about $15-$20! Now, that is expensive considering that I made this dish for under $20, and it serves two. Go ahead and double this recipe for those busy midterm weeks!                                                                                                                                           

*Serves 1-2

Prep Time: 15 mins

Cook Time: 30 mins

Ingredients:

1 cup of rotini pasta

1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese

2 tbsp of butter

2 tbsp of four

Salt & pepper

Red pepper flakes

1 1/2 cups of half and half milk

1 large chicken breast diced 

*Before starting, make sure you marinate the chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder. You can definitely play around with the spices for your quick marinade.

1)   In a deep soup pot, add water into the pot, and bring the water up to a boil for the rotini pasta.

2)   In a large sauté pan, melt the 2 tbsp of butter. When the butter is melted, sauté the chicken for about 6-7 minutes until almost cooked through (do not worry if the chicken is not completely cooked through because we will be baking it). Remove the chicken onto a clean plate and set aside. 

3)   In the same skillet, add the flour while stirring constantly to cook out the flour. After about 2-3 minutes, gradually add the half and half. After whisking for 5 minutes, let the mixture come up to a boil.

4)   Meanwhile, add salt and pasta to the large pot (make sure you stir it so that the pasta does not stick together). Cook the rotini for about 10 minutes or until al dente.

5)   When the pasta is cooked, drain it and add the pasta to the skillet. Add the chicken and parmesan into the mixture and mix well (save 2-3 tbsp of parmesan for baking).

6)   Lastly, pour the mixture into an oven safe dish. Add the last 2-3 tbsp of parmesan. Pop the pasta into a 375 degree oven until golden crispy on the top. Enjoy! 

Jessica Wu is attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a senior majoring in Accounting. Her expected graduation date will be Fall of 2015. She loves to watch the food network and cook.
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.