Bigger Portions, Bigger Proportions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Over the past few decades, portion sizes of everything from muffins to sandwiches have grown considerably. Here are some quick facts that show just how much these food portions have grown:
·       The average dinner plate is 7 inches larger than it was forty years ago.
·       The average calorie level for a burger, fries and soda was 590 calories in 1957, compared to 1,550 calories today.
·       The average cookie 20 years ago was 1 ½ inches in diameter and 55 calories, compared to the 3 1/2 –inch, 375-calorie cookie of today.

Twenty years ago                 
500 calories

Today
 850 calories

It is extremely important to keep an eye on portions; it is very helpful to measure foods into and onto your personal cups, bowls, and plates. A ½ portion will look differently in an 8 ounce cup compared to a 32 ounce cup.  Take a look at some typical portions using measuring cups and spoons every three months to sharpen your memory regarding portion sizes.  Another way to control portion sizes is by comparing them to items such as:
·       3oz of cooked meat= deck of playing cards
·       2 tablespoons of peanut butter= golf ball
·       Dressing for salad= 1 strawberry
·       Burrito or enchilada= cordless phone
·       French fries= 10 pencils, or 20 half pencils

Twenty Years Ago Today                                    
 5-6-inch diameter
140 calories

Noah’s Plain Bagel
3-inch diameter                                             
350 calories     

Always remember that bigger portions= bigger proportions. What you eat matters but also how much you eat of whatever you are eating. In the end, weight gain occurs as a result of an increase in caloric intake which means we are eating more calories than we are burning out. Keep this in mind when you are having your Thanksgiving dinner with your family. You can eat a little bit of everything and still be satisfied.

Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.