This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Finals week is almost upon us, which means that summer 2015 is that much closer. So what is this summer going to sound like? Every summer break deserves a good playlist to accompany it, whether that means you’re playing it on the commute to your internship, cranking it up on your car stereo while you drive to the beach, or just listening to something while you bask in the sun. Below are some suggestions to what to add to your summer playlist, featuring some brand new tunes, some oldies, and some classic summer sounds.

Unbreakable Smile – Tori Kelly

With a vintage vibe and a whole lot of mellow soul, Tori Kelly’s newest single is perfect for driving with the windows down or as backroad music during bonfires. It’s also the perfect warm-up to get used to before her new album drops on June 23.

Tear In My Heart – Twenty One Pilots

Twenty One Pilots also have a new album coming out this summer, but before it’s May 19 release, you can crank up Tear In My Heart for those solo dance parties you get to have when you’ve got the house to yourself.

XO – Beyoncé

Leave it to Queen Bey to perfectly capture the feeling of summer nights in song form. While this song isn’t brand new, it’s still the perfect addition to any playlist that needs a surreal summer sound.

The Night Is Still Young – Nicki Minaj

Nicki Minaj coined summer jams with Starships in 2012, so it’s no surprise that she can still spit verses that you can turn up as loudly as possible while you drive around with your friends. If you’re into going out on summer nights, this might just be the perfect song to get ready to.

Jackie and Wilson – Hozier

If your summer playlist requires a soundtrack to accompany your summer fling, Jackie and Wilson is for you. Hozier’s soulful, vintage track perfectly describes the firework feeling of those three month love stories we’ll reminisce about once classes start up again.

Different Colors – Walk the Moon

If music festivals are your definition of summer, Walk the Moon has your sound. The indie-pop outfit is great at composing electric, catchy, anthem-like songs that are necessary for any and all summer activities.

Jack & Diane – John Mellencamp

If we’re talking summer playlists, it would be sacrilegious to not include the summer anthem that started it all. Sure, it’s a little goofy, and if you listen to it around your dad he might start singing and embarrass you, but secretly you’ll want to be belting it out with him.  

We Are Golden – Mika

Has this been on every summer playlist I’ve ever made since it came out in 2009? Definitely. This song is an absolute anthem, and it’s perfect for trying to figure out if you and your friends can sing over your car’s speakers at top volume.

Want You Back – The Jackson 5

Every playlist needs a little Motown, and summer playlists definitely call for the snappy, infectious rhythms of The Jackson 5. You won’t be able to get this song out of your head, but in the best way possible. And no, it’s totally not embarrassing to come up with your own choreography routine with your friends at your summer sleepovers.

Sugar – Maroon 5

Every summer playlist needs at least one song that you already know all the words to, even if it’s just because it’s been overplayed on the radio. It’s impossible to listen to Sugar without breaking into at least the slightest shoulder shimmy, and Maroon 5 does bubblegum pop surprisingly well with the soulful twist they give it. Even if you’re sick of it, when you play it at your summer parties it’ll get everyone dancing and probably waking up the neighbors when you try to hit the high notes. 

For your convenience, every song listed above can be found on this Spotify playlist!

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so. 
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.