This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Nothing is better than having healthy, glowing skin! With seasons changing, most of us find our skin being very uncooperative and drying out. As we face these issues ourselves, we thought we would send a few useful tips your way to help bring back your healthy, glowing skin! Keep in mind these tips are aimed towards normal skin, so if you have very sensitive skin, be careful which products you use. Try and find gentler substitutes to use from companies such as Aveeno, Simple, etc. 

Exfoliate: Exfoliation is to the skin what shampoo is to the hair. Exfoliants wash away dirt and dry skin to reveal healthier, more vibrant complexion. Dead skin cells cover up the natural glow so it’s important to exfoliate a few times a week to refresh your face and keep it looking healthy. Our personal favorite is the St. Ives Apricot Exfoliating scrub for blemishes and blackheads. It gently rubs away inpurities and leaves your skin feeling soft and smooth! 

Tone: After cleansing your face, it is important to tone your skin with a facial toner of your choice. Many people skip the toning step, but don’t realize a toner can remove any left over bits of dirt, oil, or dead skin cells left behind after cleansing. Toning also helps balance your skins pH level giving it a more hydrated and healthy look. Use a toner both morning and night to soothe your skin. 

Moisturize: Moisturizing your skin is one of the most important steps in facial care. Moisturizers, applied after cleansing, lock in moisture to replenish the wear and tear on skin from weather, changing seasons, etc. Moisturizer keeps skin looking glowy and radiant throughout the day. When choosing a moisturizer, it is important to pick one appropriate for your skin type (ie. dry, oily, normal, etc.) Another tip when picking a moisturizer is to pick one with an SPF in it. Even on cloudy days, the suns rays can pierce through the clouds to our skin. SPF protects skin in any weather from harmful rays. 

Face Masks: Face mask treatments are a go-to for any skin type. There are all different kinds to pick from (ie. treatments for dry skin, oily skin, dull, etc.) Face masks can provide deep nourishment to the skin that the weather takes away from. All you have to do is look around in your local drugstore’s facial cleansing section and pick one suited for your skin needs! Some of our favorites include peel off masks, hydrating avocado masks, and replenishing lemon masks that dry and rinse off. They take about 15 minutes so put one on next time you’re going to do the dishes. In the time it takes to clean up the kitchen, you can also treat your skin to some serious replenishment! Trust us, it’s definitely worth it. Again, be careful of skin reactions to specific facial masks, especially sensitive skin. Test a small swatch on your skin before jumping in. 

Hopefully these tips help you on the road to healthier, more beautiful skin! Taking care of your skin is important for so many reasons, and developing good skin care routines can help you stay looking younger in the future! Splurge every once in a while on a face mask and enjoy your well deserved spa days. 

Campus: University of Illinois at Chicago Major: English with a concentration in Media, Rhetorical and Cultural Studies Minor: Germanic Studies Status: Senior Jennifer is a born and raised Chicago girl passionate about her studies. She loves to help people all that she can and contribute to the betterment of others. Used to being on the go, Jennifer is enthusiastic about obtaining her degree and learning many different things along the way. She is interested in music, movies, reading, volunteering, and is a major Blackhawks fan. Her dream is obtain her degree and work with writing in a fashion that will reach out to people.
Campus: University of Illinois at Chicago Major: English with a concentration in Media, Rhetorical and Cultural Studies Minor: Psychology, Sociology Melissa is born and raised in Chicago. She started out at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign before coming to UIC.
UIC Contributor.