This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Everyone is affected by obstacles in different ways. As a college student, there are countless ways in which obstacles appear. One of the issues that affect me the most is stress. Whether the stress comes from work, school, or a lack of rest, it is always good to know that no one is immune to it. A pet peeve of mine is when people assume that they are the only person going through a rough time. Personally, I find it so bothersome because I believe people should always make an effort to try to realize that others also go through tough times. This is not an easy thing to do because it really takes effort. When we are super wrapped up in our own situation, we only focus on ourselves. We get a form of tunnel vision in which we become annoyed with others, and we come to think they cannot possibly have it worse. I believe this is not due to lack of empathy or indifference, rather it comes from a place of isolation. Precisely because we feel so strongly, we lose the energy and will to see what else is out there. We don’t reach out to others because we are down, and we come to believe that our world is the only unique one.

Things get out of hand when we start to lose the need to relate to others. It really is important and necessary for people to feel not only appreciated but to have the need to relate to others. It makes us less self-centered and more selfless. If everyone just thought and felt the same way, who will step up and take the first step? We all feel hurt, rejection, and are treated unfairly at times. But, we just see ourselves as victims waiting for someone to come up to us and magically treat us like the human being we long to be seen as, but we would all be on the same boat. We would all be lost and angry with the world. What if this never happens? What if people don’t start treating us like we want to be treated? Do we just keep waiting? Will we ever truly live, if our lives are told from an “I would be happy if people didn’t …….,” or “I wouldn’t be as upset if…,” or even I wish people would stop…..” 

To realize that this way of thinking is harmful and not helpful, to society, is a step to becoming a socially aware person. Unfortunately, people love to think this way, and it is also encouraged. Not only is it a way of thinking but a lifestyle. I think, yes, we all need help in different ways which is sadly not available to us. There is a problem with people who believe others are not as talented, cool, gifted, beautiful, or smart, but I think there are bigger issues with people who do not feel the need to help others. The mentality of “I give to you only what you have given to me” is objectively fair but when put into practice it kind of isn’t. Should a rich person fight a homeless person for a piece of bread? Is it stealing? You decide.

I am a creative person who enjoys learning about the ways in which art can take different forms. My passions include learning about issues that effect our lives; things ranging from politics, media, culture, music, art, philosophy, technology, or education. I am a Chicago native and an undergraduate student at UIC majoring in English and minoring in Film.
UIC Contributor.