Baking Bits: Do You Wanna Build a Snowman?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

With the snow around campus finally starting to melt, we might not be able to make any more snowmen, but these delicious cookies are the next BEST thing!

Recipe: 

2 squares unsweetened chocolate

1/2 cup butter

1 cup packed brown sugar

1 egg

2 cups flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

Parchment paper

Orange sprinkles

Mini chocolate chips

Frosting:

3 cups powdered sugar

1 tablespoon butter

Milk

Preheat oven to 375. 

1. Melt chocolate and butter together in small saucepan.

2. Cool slightly and stir in sugar and egg. 

3. Sift flour and baking soda together. 

4. Slowly add flour mixture to wet ingredients, alternating adding milk, vanilla, and flour until combined.

5. Drop by the tablespoon onto parchment paper lined cookie sheet. 

6. Bake for 8-10 minutes (do not overbake!). They will be very soft.

7. Let cool for one hour, or until completely cool. 

8. To make frosting whip together powdered sugar, melted butter, and milk (enough to moisten properly) until smooth. 

9. Put frosting in microwave safe bowl and microwave for 15 seconds. 

10. Dip tops of cooled cookies into frosting, or drop frosting on top with spoon to achieve melted snowman look. 

11. Decorate with chocolate chips and sprinkles. 

Enjoy these adorable little snowmen! They are also delicious just as brown and white cookies in the warmer months!

I am a freshman at UIC, majoring in Psychology and Communication, with a minor in Art. Photography is my passion, but I also love making and eating cupcakes, and watching 30 rock (Tina Fey is my hero).
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.