Back to School Blues? Not in Chicago!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Now that summer is officially over and school is in session, that doesn’t mean that the fun is over. Fall is quickly approaching and soon our lives will be filled with sweaters, hot chocolate, boots, and crisp air. Before we can enjoy all the excitement and adventure that comes with a new school year, we must make a proper transition from wild and free summer mode to school mode. Here are some tips to making that hasty transition while also taking advantage of all the things Chicago during the school year has to offer!

Buy a wall calendar:
The best thing to buy to get yourself back into school mode is a giant wall calendar that you can write all your assignments, meetings, and exams on to keep you on track. I always put my above my desk so that it is always visible when I’m in my room. There is no excuse not to remember to study for that midterm or get a head start on a paper! Having a visual daily reminder that you have things coming up makes it easier to manage your time and get back into school mode.

Get excited for Autumn!
There is nothing better than autumn in Chicago. Make this upcoming semester extra special by changing up your wardrobe with cute fall pieces. Reward yourself for all those late night study sessions and buy a cute new scarf, comfy sweater, or statement earrings. And of course, this does not have to be expensive. Thrift stores around the Chicago area like Buffalo Exchange and Rag Stock always have current styles for cheap!

Participate in Chicago’s Fall events:
Even though it’s back to the daily grind, some of Chicago’s greatest festivals take place during the school year. On September 16th the Mexican Independence day parade will take place full of music, colorful floats, and flamenco dancers. Oktoberfest Chicago will take place September 28th-30th and include German music, food, and drinks. There is also the Chicago Gourmet the same weekend for self-proclaimed foodies who want to try new things. Don’t forget to look up free museum days as well!

Chicago is proof that going back to school doesn’t have to be a drag. Get organized and study hard so you can enjoy everything our campus’ city has to offer!

Ceida is a third-year student at the University of Illinois at Chicago, studying graphic design with an interest in editorial. She has interned for a fashion photographer, Hesita&Bear (a luxury homeware company) and plans to continue her trek in the visual communications industry. Ceida loves exploring the Windy City, and more importantly: she enjoys showing it off. Her pass times include drinking coffee, thrifting, and listening to old-school Jazz, and photography! She is also a proud member of Phi Sigma Sigma National Sorority.