Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

UIC Archives

The Rave Run

By Alex Griparis
March 3, 2013 - 11:25am

Lately, it seems like Chicagoland has been seeing a lot of the same races. The Color Run, The Hot Chocolate Run, and of course the Chicago Marathon for all you over-achievers. Recently I came across a new 5K that is unlike any of the others. It's called The Rave Run and it's coming to Chicago on April 27th! The Rave Run takes place at night, and according to their website runners will "experience a nocturnal wonderland with 3.1miles of stunning lights and music." It was founded in 2012 by an runner, artist, and insomniac. He succesfully created a 5K that includes the best of all three of these aspects. READ MORE

10 Tips For A Happier, Healthier Lifestyle!

By Nicole Jacobs
March 1, 2013 - 5:01pm

As collegiettes, it can be tough to have a balanced diet and exercise regularly. With built up stress from classes and work we may neglect our physical and mental health. Sometimes we have to stop, take a breath and remember to take care of ourselves. Making an effort to be fit and maintain a healthy lifestyle is important and is something that can be possible! Here are ten tips that will lead you to a healthier, happier lifestyle. 1. Make sleep & eating priorities READ MORE

Victor Barrera

By Claudia Martinez
March 1, 2013 - 3:36am

READ MORE

The Veil’s 2nd Annual Yes to B.I.O Style Variety Show: Stop Bullying!

By Claudia Martinez
March 1, 2013 - 1:37am

YES TO B.I.O. is a style variety show hosted by TheVeil showcasing UIC students' style, personality, and talent while fundraising for a good cause :) Wondering what B.I.O. stands for?? Beauty Inside & Out! The Veil wants everyone to embrace others for who they are, spread the importance of beauty both inside and out, and open everyone's eyes to see that they are unique and beautiful in their own way. This year all proceeds will go to BEYOND BULLIES http://www.youtube.com/watch?v... Mr.Mojo's video to The Veil will be played at the show today! Check him out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v......

Steer Away from the Fear of Collapse

By Elif Geris
February 28, 2013 - 11:19pm

Follow the long, twinkling guitar riffs far into the distance, and into the trap where sirens call you with Metric’s “Speed the Collapse.” Let the riffs embrace you as you lie taking in the blue above. Take off running as Emily Haines lifts you high at the end of the path with her hopeful vocals. “Out of my way!” should be the words that emanate from your throat, and into the crowd’s ears as you fight to the end of the week, with fire shooting out of your palms. Don’t crash beneath the storm that falls in the coming weeks. READ MORE

Manny Chavez

By Ashley
February 28, 2013 - 11:06pm

Name: Manny Chavez Year: Freshman Major: Kinesiology Hometown: Whiting, IN Relationship Status: Single Hobbies/Activities: Playing sports and hanging with family/friends What is the most important characteristic a girl has to have?: A sense of humor and a cute smile What is your favorite sport?: Soccer READ MORE

Music Blog: Brooklyn Boys and Black Sun

By Meaghan Lee
February 28, 2013 - 5:06pm

This week was packed with music, so I thought I would do a double feature! Read on to get the scoop on two bands making waves on our radar. Last Monday evening I had the pleasure of retreating into a musical abyss, courtesy of Bottom Lounge. This offbeat venue housed a perfect fit, the cool and unclassified boys from Brooklyn, Ambassadors. Built around brotherhood, the indie four-piece generates a loud and layered sound that borrows bits from multiple genres including funk, soul and dance rock. Growing up in a musical household, brothers Sam (vocals and back up guitar) and Casey Harris (keyboard) started the band, adding friend Noah on lead guitar and eventually Adam Levin on drums. READ MORE...

The Art of First Impressions

By Francesca Dreesen
February 26, 2013 - 11:39pm

Whether it is a job interview, meeting new friends, or going on a date; with every encounter you have you are evaluated and another person’s impression of you is formed.  This first encounter is extremely important because a first impression can be nearly impossible to reverse. The opinion the other person forms about you the first moment they meet you will stick with them forever. They will base this opinion on the way you dress, your overall appearance, your body language, and your mannerisms.  With that said, it is important to be aware on how you present yourself to others. Whether they are in your career or social life, it's important to know how to create a good first impression. The following are some tips to help you do this!...

Eduardo Munoz

By Sally Garduno
February 25, 2013 - 10:30pm

What is your major and what you plan to do with it? READ MORE

Visit Chicago Museums for FREE!

By Angelica Sanabria Valdes
February 25, 2013 - 12:12am

Visit Chicago Museums FREE! If you’re the typical college student that LOVES free stuff, check out the Chicago museums Free Days for Illinois residents!   Shedd AquariumThe free admission includes Waters of the World, Amazon Rising, and the Caribbean Reef.  The Wild Reef, Polar Play Zone and Abbott Oceanarium are not included in the free general admission but Illinois residents can buy them for a discount. READ MORE