9 Ways to Get the Most Out of Your Morning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

What to do the night before:

1. Plan Your Outfit

We often waste a lot of time choosing between outfits and being indecisive. Doing this the night before will allow you to put a little more time into your look without wasting valuable time in the morning.

2. Pack your backpack and organize materials that you will need for the following day

This will save you time and energy in the morning and you won’t be bummed when you find out that you left your calculator in the top drawer while sitting in math class.

3. Organize and clean your space

Go to sleep with your room clean. It will be much easier to get ready when your room is well organized and clear of clutter. Things won’t get in your way and the only thing you will have to worry about in the morning is making your bed.

4. Set alarm clock at a time before you plan on getting up

Hitting snooze a few times is okay as long you plan ahead for it. Setting your alarm a bit earlier than you want to get up will allow you to prep yourself before jumping out of bed without shedding time off your getting ready time.

What to do the morning of:

5. Set aside 5-10 minutes to check your phone.

It’s almost a second instinct to turn off your alarm and instantly roll on over to checking your messages, Snapchat, and Instagram. Because you know that this is inevitable, stick that right into the schedule to prevent getting off track.

6. Give yourself an extra 10 minutes for makeup and hair.

Sometimes the wing on your winged eyeliner won’t turn out as sharp as you want it to or those curls won’t be falling the way you saw on that YouTube tutorial. Having bit more wiggle room will allow you to change route just in case your look does not go as planned.

7. Play music that will motivate and get you excited for the day.

A lot of little things that you do can have a profound effect on your mood. Turning on a little Taylor Swift or even Future while you apply your makeup can get you pumped up and ready to take on the day.

8. EAT BREAKFAST

Give yourself a specific time slot to eat breakfast. Doing this will help you move a little faster and forces you to make eating the most important meal of the day a priority.

9. Give yourself an extra 20-30 minutes for your commute in case of delays.

There’s nothing worse than sitting on a delayed train and watching the time hoping that things would move faster. Make room in your schedule for setbacks because they happen often.

You are now ready to take on the world!

Sally Ndir is a junior studying Biological Sciences at the University of Illinois at Chicago. She enjoys eating out, shopping in the city, and fashion.
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.