7 Times Gilmore Girls Perfectly Described College Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Arguably the best part of the early 2000’s were all of the amazing shows. Among the best were One Tree Hill, Lost, Heroes, Desperate Housewives, and, of course, Gilmore Girls. Even if you didn’t watch any of these shows while they were on, hopefully you’re now getting the chance to binge watch them on Netflix, and you’re picking up on some of the great lessons that made us the collegiettes we are today. Of course, what better show than Gilmore Girls has taught us more about love, family, school, and friendships? There are probably thousands of articles to write about all of these lessons, but over its seven seasons, Gilmore Girls taught us a lot about college life – even if unintentionally at times.

1.  When you have an 8 a.m. and give up trying to make your hair cooperate.

Jess Mariano may have given us a lot of lessons about not going after bad boys, but my personal favorite lessons of his are those on hair. Jess had great hair, even if Luke made fun of him for using so much product. All the same, he had the perfect response for when things just weren’t working out, even if he was being sarcastic.

2. When it’s Saturday night and you’re done caring what people think about you

Emily Gilmore is the unsung hero of Gilmore Girls, and she was the socialite a part of all of us secretly wanted to be. She also had some of the show’s funniest moments, including this one. This moment teaches us several things, like: a) Who cares what men think of you? Have two glasses of wine! And b) How to make the snappiest comebacks when people question your life choices.

3. When someone makes a sexist comment and you can’t let it go

I often say that watching Gilmore Girls in my early adolescence is the reason for my current level of feminism. This show is full of strong female characters, and there are a lot of great feminist moments that are ridiculously relatable.

4. When you need to ask the important questions

This also goes along with the scenario we’ve all been through when it’s 3 a.m. and your brain is fried from staring at a Microsoft Word document for hours on end and the most random things pop into your head. Of course, Lorelai had the kind of brain that came up with these things at all hours of the day.

5. When you meet one of those guys

You know the guys. They’re the types to say “not all men”. They’re the mansplainers. The kind that don’t recognize their own privilege even when you directly point it out to them.

6. When all of your friends are suddenly in relationships and you’re still single

This may be the only thing Kirk said that made any logical sense in all seven seasons. We’ve all been there at some point.

7. When it’s finals week

This doesn’t really need any further explanation. You get it. 

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so. 
UIC Contributor.