7 Note-Taking Tips That Will Help You On Your Next Exam

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

As cliché as this may sound, studies show that students tend to take better notes with a pen and paper because you are actively engaging with the material. Therefore, it causes your brain to not only comprehend the information but also memorize it.

How do you take efficient and effective notes?

1. Print out lecture slides

Some professors upload their lecture PowerPoint presentations onto Blackboard. What you can do is print out the slides in “Handout” format (multiple small rectangles) and bring it to class. When your professor is lecturing, you don’t have to worry about what’s on the slides because it is already in front of you. Instead, you can now focus your attention on what your instructor is saying and most of the time, that is what they test you on.   

2. Record lectures

In a lecture hall, it can be difficult to hear or write down everything your professor is saying. What you can do is, open up the Voice Memos app on your phone, and record the lectures. Now, you will have the recording to go back to and use as a cross-reference in case you miss any important details. If you have an iPhone, it is one of those mandatory apps; so, you might as well use it right? 

3. Listen for hints 

Some professors drop hints during their lectures about what you should be writing down and what might show up on the exam. They will either tell you directly, repeat themselves a few times, or they will usually spend more than one class period going over a specific topic.

4. Color code your notes

When note-taking, I like to organize my notes in color coordination. For example, I will use a green pen for definitions, red for key points, purple for potential exam questions, and a highlighter for lecture topics. Use your judgment, some students may find it too complicated or too distracting, and see what works best for you. 

5.  Read the course’s material

Read your textbook and assigned readings. Professors upload the material for a reason and you can easily avoid a fastball or a complete surprise by completing the readings. It can potentially be a pop quiz question, an exam question, or even a bonus question.

6. Find a study buddy

Find a classmate in your class to compare notes with, perhaps your classmate heard something you did not or vice versa. You will now have a study buddy and a friend to sit next to in class.

7. Sleep

Last but not least, make sure you get enough sleep the night before! Be there, be alert, and be proactive to take good notes. Pick a seat in the middle T-Zone (the entire front row and middle section) for a better view and listening experience.

Feel free to share some of your note-taking tips. Happy studying and good luck! 

Hello, everyone, my name is Shirley Toy. I am a graduate of the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) with a Bachelor's in English, concentrating in Professional Writing and double minors in Spanish and Communication. I am an alum of Her Campus at UIC, where I served as a writer, Co-Campus Correspondent, and Editor-in-Chief. At the National level, I served as a Chapter Advisor for the 2017-2018 academic year. These opportunities are perfect because I get to merge my passions for writing, leadership, and technology together. Follow & Tweet me on Twitter @_shirleyst!
UIC Contributor.