brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Celebrities You Need to Follow on Instagram

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Celebrities on social media are some of the best things about living in the digital age. Instead of having to grab a Cosmo or a People magazine to read up on rumors, nowadays most celebrities have social media pages like Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook that keep their fans updated on the happenings of their daily lives (and occasionally debunking those ridiculous rumors). Of course, not every star has been gifted with the ability to put together a perfect social media profile, but some have officially mastered the trade. If you haven’t already, below are 7 celebrities you need to start following on Instagram.

1. Shemar Moore

For his day job, Shemar Moore plays FBI agent Derek Morgan on Criminal Minds, which is in its 10th season on CBS. In his off time, however, Shemar is running one of the world’s greatest Instagram accounts. He posts everything from cute car selfies to videos of his workouts, plus he has two cute dogs and takes cute selfies with his mom. The thing that makes his Instagram unique, however, is that every day he posts a fan submitted “Baby Girl of the Day”, in which he shares a picture of a fan wearing something from his clothing line along with their story. Overall, his pictures and captions are cute, sexy, inspiring, and empowering all at the same time, so he gets an A+ in our book.

2. Taylor Swift

Even though it’s pretty much collegiette code to be following T-Swift on every social media platform, her Instagram is too perfect to not be included on this list. Taylor’s Instagram is the Instagram we all want, really, with pictures and videos of her two adorable cats, gorgeous vacation photos with her equally talented and gorgeous friends (like model Karlie Kloss and the sisters from the band HAIM), and truly witty posts of her own concert and paparazzi pictures. Taylor Swift’s Instagram is just further proof that we should all try to emulate her daily.

3. Colton Haynes

Colton Haynes was a model before getting his break in acting, and now he’s probably most well-known for his role as Jackson on Teen Wolf and his current starring role on the CW’s Arrow. Besides being really, really attractive, Colton Haynes is also hilarious, and his Instagram is perfect proof of that. He’s definitely not afraid to make fun of himself, especially judging by the hilariously embarrassing Throwback Thursday pictures he’s been posting lately. And with a face like his, it’s pretty safe to say that he’s officially mastered the art of the selfie, and he thankfully posts them liberally. All in all, it’s refreshing to see a star that doesn’t take himself too seriously, and gives his fans a good laugh because of it.

4. Anna Kendrick

Anna Kendrick is potentially one of the funniest social media presences on this list. Her Twitter is particularly evident of her comedic genius, but her Instagram is also pretty hilarious. She’s also good at the witty captions of her own magazine or red carpet pictures, and is generally an adorable person who takes adorable and occasionally goofy selfies. Her dry and sarcastic sense of humor that we all know and love is definitely reflected in her posts, which makes her Instagram just another reason to love her.

5. Grant Gustin

Though he got his start as a Warbler on Glee, Grant Gustin is currently starring as Barry Allen on the CW’s new series, The Flash. When he’s not suiting up to be the Scarlet Speedster, Grant is taking pictures of his truly adorable dogs, Jett and Nora. Which he then posts to Instagram, to the delight of his fans and followers. Grant likely loves his dogs more than he loves most people, which is probably why he posts so many selfies with them. And if you’re not a dog person, you can still benefit from his cute on-set selfies of him wearing a spandex super-suit and a hoodie. In fact, he might just be cuter than his dogs. Maybe. Besides the adorableness, you can tell from his captions that he’s extremely down to earth and genuine, which is a great quality in both celebrities and superheroes.

6. Lea Michele

Glee star Lea Michele’s Instagram is like something off of a Dream Life Pinterest board. She’s super healthy, so she’s always snapping pictures of herself going on hikes, doing yoga, eating balanced vegan meals, and drinking green juice. So if you’re not feeling like going to the gym today, just take a look at her Instagram. Either you’ll feel like she’s healthy enough for the both of you and give you the excuse to skip, or she’ll be an absolute inspiration in getting your butt off the couch. Lea Michele is an inspiring person in general, and her Instagram posts definitely emulate that. She’s definitely got her life together, which might make you jealous when you’re scrolling through your feed at 2 p.m. on a Saturday after you’ve just woken up, but it’s so hard not to love her beautifully lit and mellow posts. They kind of make you want to do yoga and eat a lot of kale, which thankfully passes once you scroll down.

7. Matt McGorry

While initially known for his role as the adorable and occasionally clueless Officer Bennet on the Netflix original series Orange Is The New Black, Matt McGorry recently starred in the first season of How To Get Away With Murder as well. The up-and-coming actor has definitely started making a name for himself, and thanks to his role on How To Get Away With Murder and his social media pages, that name includes great comedic chops. From hilarious Throwback Thursday posts to funny behind the scenes pictures with his fellow cast members, Matt’s Instagram is big on both humor and heart. Even better, he’s recently declared himself to be a feminist and regularly promotes Emma Watson’s “He for She” campaign. Cute, funny, and a feminist? There’s really not much else we could possibly ask for.

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so. 
UIC Contributor.