5 Things I Learned My First Month at UIC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

1. Inner Circle is your enemy. 

At first inner circle seems to be your friend and then when you don’t know it, you are broke or you hate Wendys and its not even the first month in. 

2. Do not do laundry on Sundays! 

Every student who lives in the dorms can tell you one thing: laundry on Sundays suck! Throughout the day all the way to the evening you have to pray that you will get at least one washing machine and getting a dryer on time is a miracle. No to mention that laundry doers on this day have no chill. They will take your clothes out of the machine venue if  true are a second late after your timer goes off. So one quick FYI, stay away from the laundry rooms on Sunday. 

3. Make friends in all of your classes!

This is the main thing that will help you in the long run. Go the extra mile to be a little nicer and get a phone number in some of your classes because if you have any questions or need a little help, those classmates can help you. 

4. Set multiple alarms!  

Whether you are a commuter or a student who lives on campus, you will wake up late once which will either make you late or miss a class. DO NOT CHANCE IT!!! Set multiple alarms and be prepared for it all! 

5. Dunkin’ Donuts is your best friend, except for when the line resembles one on Black Friday. 

Like most human coffee and tea drinkers, I love my Dunkin. But when it is a Monday and I have class at 9 and it is 8:45, that line at Dunkin will be the death of me. If you really need that caffeine, arrive 30 minutes early to get that drink! 

Anna Rubino

Illinois '19

Anna Rubino is currently a senior at the University of Illinois at Chicago and majoring in Communications and Business Administration. She hopes to work in the sports marketing field and use her passion and knowledge of sports as a career.
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.