This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

1. Netflix

Netflix is a dangerous thing. One episode and you’re hooked. It would be wrong to just stop there. To avoid that major distraction, don’t watch it all when you know you have to study. Reward yourself after you ace your finals by binge watching your new show during your month off for winter break.

2. NOT drinking coffee

Coffee is a college student staple. Depending solely on it is not healthy, but having an extra boost doesn’t hurt, especially when you need to be 100% focused on studying.

3. Pulling an all nighter

It may seem like the best thing to do, to study an entire night, but if your body does not have enough rest, then your mind won’t be as focused. Coffee might be there to save you, but your body needs to recharge itself. It is better to map out your day so you can have enough time to study, to do other responsibilities, and to rest so your stress levels won’t be that high.

4. Cramming in Information

This is especially important if the class is related to your career. It is better to learn the information so it will not be easily forgotten than to just memorize if for a few days so you can take the exam and have it spill out your ears. Actually knowing and understanding the information will make taking the exam easier because you will not have to depend on your memory to tell you the answer.

5. Giving Up

Your planner might look like ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics, but that should not stop you from moving forward. Think about the long term effects rather than the short ones. You will sacrifice any free time to do well now so that in the future, you can be at your dream job because you earned it putting in some extra effort during your college years. So, put away that McDonald’s application and hit the books!

Hi, I'm Daniela. I'm a Sociology major with a minor in Criminology and Business Administration. I have been involved with Her Campus since my freshmen year, working in editorial, marketing, and social media. As president of Her Campus UIC, I am excited to see our chapter grow throughout my last year here.
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.