5 Reasons To Watch Issa Rae’s HBO Comedy ‘Insecure’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Issa Rae’s new HBO show Insecure has finally premiered after months of waiting.

Most people know Issa Rae for her web series and Insecure inspiration, The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl. The web series was created in 2011 to show the world how Issa Rae felt being an awkward black girl. The web series spawned a book and a television show (Insecure). Here a few reasons as to why Issa Rae’s work is important.

1. It shows you it is okay not to be perfect

The show’s protagonist, Issa (played by creator Issa Rae), is noticeably awkward. Issa is often shown in awkward situations like being uncomfortable in a class full of children or talking to herself in the bathroom mirror. But let’s be honest, who doesn’t do strange things every now and then?

2. Issa and her best friend Molly are friendship goals

I’m sure most of us can see ourselves and our besties in Issa and Molly. They aren’t afraid to call each other out on their sh*t, but they have each other’s back. Most importantly, they have a good time together no matter what they’re doing. 

3. Issa’s relationship with her boyfriend Lawrence is realistic

Issa has been with Lawrence for years so it gets hard when it seems like they aren’t progressing. She dislikes that he isn’t working hard enough on his future. In the first episode Issa kinda breaks up with him before leaving to hang out with Molly. Seeing the struggles of a long-term relationship can always be relatable.

4. The music is great

Episode 1 kicked off with Kendrick Lamar’s “Alright,” setting the tone for great music throughout the show. Some songs we’ve heard and some we haven’t. All of them will excite us when we hear them.

5. It’s true and authentic

Although it’s not 100% based on the life of Issa Rae, the show generally consists of real-life situations that most of us could experience. Issa Rae has created a show that is raw and true to her. The truth and relatability in the show it that much more enjoyable to watch. 

Catch “Insecure” on HBO every Sunday at 10:30 P.M. You can also watch the trailer below. 

UIC Contributor.