5 Problems Only Short Hair People Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

About two years ago, I made the decision to cut off my long hair and adopt the pixie cut lifestyle. In a lot of ways, it was hands down the best decision I’ve ever made about my appearance (maybe next to getting my eyebrows done professionally), so every time somebody asks me if they should do it, my usual answer is a resounding yes. Of course, it’s not always a walk in the park, so if you are seriously considering getting a pixie cut – or if you already have one – here are a few problems that you’ll probably run into.

1. When you wake up in the morning, it looks like you’ve stuck a fork in an electrical socket.

Unless I thoroughly wash and condition my hair the night before, it takes a serious sink bath to make my hair lie flat after I wake up. On the plus side, you’ll finally get to see what you’d look like with a Mohawk.

2. Your hair grows so much more noticeably, and it drives you crazy.

You know how you can always tell when your guy friends need a haircut? Same goes for girls with pixie cuts. Because your hair is so short, you’ll notice a lot more when it starts to get long. Personally, I can’t stand when my hair gets shaggy, so I take to it with a razor comb to keep it under control between salon visits.

3. You look like a completely different person.

I always joke that I have two different parts of my life – pre- and post- pixie cut. Everyone that knew me when I had long hair was shocked when I got it cut, and everyone that met me after I cut it is shocked when they see pictures of me with long hair. Also, you’ll probably get nervous going through airport security because your driver’s license picture barely looks like you anymore.

4. You don’t understand why people with long hair are so attached to their locks.

You’ve already taken pretty much the biggest plunge possible as far as hairstyles go, so you’re a lot less afraid to change it up and go shorter or get side cuts or try a pompadour. You laugh when your friends with waist-length hair freak out over their stylist cutting off four inches instead of three, because what’s the difference? You also probably shrug every time someone says “I could never do that!” in reference to your hair. Sometimes you just have to take that plunge.

5. You’re just a little bit jealous of long haired people because you can’t play with your hair as much.

Probably the biggest downside to having a pixie cut is that there’s not a whole lot you can do to style it, depending on your hair type and the style of your cut. For example, my hair is just a touch too long and too thin to spike it up or put it in a pompadour, and the slicked-back greaser style just isn’t my taste. So every time one you see one of your long-haired friends with cute braids, a fun updo, or pretty curls, you sigh just a little bit wistfully. In the end, though, you don’t have the problems of ponytail headaches or getting the ends of your hair caught under your backpack straps or getting flyaways stuck to your lip gloss, so it’s all worth it. 

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so. 
UIC Contributor.