5 Places to Visit In Chicago Before School’s Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

At UIC, we are truly lucky to have such easy access to so many cool places in Chicago, especially with the ample use of our Ventra passes. If you’re like me and you live pretty far from the city over the summer (or you live close by but you won’t have access to your Ventra), there are a few places you should definitely check out before the year’s up, especially now that the weather is warm enough for wandering through the city.

1. Glazed and Infused

Do you like donuts that are the approximate size of your face? Then Glazed and Infused is for you! There’s a location conveniently just an 8 bus ride down Halsted, and it may just be the best place to carb-load before finals. There’s nothing wrong with stress eating when it’s in the form of a Raspberry Oreo donut! And yes, that is a thing.

2. Spencer’s Jolly Posh Foods

If you’re in for a little extra adventure (and have a little extra cash to treat yourself), give Spencer’s Jolly Posh Foods a try. Located in Lakeview, it’s a bit more of a trek to get to, but has the added bonus of being located in the perfect neighborhood for wandering around in. (Extra added bonus – there are tons of dogs. Tons.) Spencer’s is a unique restaurant and food store that sells British snacks, candy, tea, and other such foods as well as serves brunch, lunch, dinner, afternoon tea, and drinks. If you’re in the mood to treat yourself, definitely grab your girls and spring for the afternoon tea, which includes bottomless cups of delicious tea, finger sandwiches, adorable tiny desserts, and scones that might just change your life. This is truly a great place to spend a stress-free Saturday or Sunday afternoon, so check it out while you’ve still got unlimited train access!

3. Stax Café

Perhaps the world’s greatest place for Sunday breakfast and brunch, Stax is a Taylor Street staple that serves hearty meals that feel like religious experiences. Their menu has tons of variety, so if you’re looking for something protein packed and healthy or something that could probably be considered a dessert, they’ve got you covered. I highly recommend the white chocolate chip raspberry pancakes, because who doesn’t love pairing their morning caffeine with an extra sugar rush? Definitely also take advantage of their sides, because you can totally get a side of mini waffles prepared the same way as any of their regular-sized waffles. And don’t forget the potatoes. Potatoes are extremely important to all successful brunches.

4. Artopolis

Artopolis is a bakery, café, and wine shop located in Greektown. It’s really easy to walk here from campus, so it’s a great spot to go between or after classes for a coffee and dessert pick me up, or a good place for lunch or dinner on the weekend. They have an amazing menu with a little European flair, with a huge variety of beverages, desserts, and meals. My favorite thing about Artopolis is the layout, because there’s a sort of balcony seating area as well as street-level seating. Overall, it’s a warm, cozy, and truly beautiful place to sit back and relax for a while.

5. The Coffee Alley

So, this is only on this list because I’m pretty sure that if you don’t go to The Coffee Alley at least once during your tenure at UIC, they actually don’t let you graduate. If you haven’t been yet, definitely get on it. Coffee Alley is located on Taylor Street and is the perfect spot for studying or for meeting up with friends. They’re extremely student friendly and have free WiFi and a printer, plus their menu is pretty affordable. For pre-finals caffeine cramming, I highly recommend their Red Eyes, because their espresso blend is wonderfully smooth. They also have great bagels, sandwiches, pastries, and other snack or small meal assortments. All of the workers are super kind, the environment is quiet and comfortable, and the food and drinks are affordable and tasty. Once you’ve been there, you’ll definitely want to go back again and again. Trust me, I’m there often enough that they’re probably going to ask me to move in soon. 

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so. 
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.