5 Foods for a Healthy Immune System

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

We have officially reached the time of the year that some of us dread the most: cold and flu season. The weather is getting colder and you’re coming into contact with tons of people every single day, and that can mean the start of sniffles and sneezes and sometimes all out illness. Being a collegiette means juggling classes, work, and a social life – not to mention finals are coming up – and getting sick does not fit well with our busy schedules. NyQuil and cough drops are great, but the key to staying healthy and active can actually lie in boosting your immune system through the foods you eat. So, here are five foods to look out for to keep you happy and sniffle free this cold and flu season.

1. Yogurt

Yogurt has live cultures that regulate your digestive system and get rid of germs, which can give your immune system a huge boost. A serving of fat and sugar free yogurt that’s marked with a “Live and Active Cultures” seal every day can do wonders for cutting down your sick days.

2. Chicken Soup

This one may seem like a given, but it turns out that your mom’s go to cold remedy actually has scientific properties. Spices like garlic and onion are good for fighting bacteria, and the salt content of broth can thin out mucus. Additionally, there’s an amino acid that is released from cooked chicken that blocks the inflammatory cells that bring on cold symptoms. When you start feeling under the weather, try a hot bowl of soup with real chicken – which means no ramen – to alleviate your symptoms.

3. Tea

Besides water, tea is the ultimate miracle beverage. Green tea especially is packed with antioxidants, and it also contains an amino acid that boosts virus fighters in your blood. Black tea also has similar properties, and many herbal teas work wonders in alleviating cold symptoms. A few cups a day will fight off colds, but if you’ve already got one, add a little honey to soothe your sore throat and drink up to get better faster.

4. Leafy Greens

Greens like kale, broccoli, spinach, and cabbage help your liver detoxify your body and keep you free of those nasty cold germs. Keeping your body free of toxins strengthens your immune system, so keep up those frequent trips to the salad bar!

5. Water

Collegiettes, I could go on for days about the health benefits of drinking tons and tons of water. Like leafy greens, it flushes your body of toxins, keeps your bodily fluids in balance, and gives you more energy. When you’re sick, it also replenishes much needed electrolytes. This cold and flu season, keep a water bottle with you everywhere you go, and eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. 

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so. 
UIC Contributor.