This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Finals week is upon us in the worst way. Good thing we’ve all been studying religiously…or not. Whether you’re done studying or just getting started, we’ve created a list of 5 drinks to help with your cognitive functioning while studying and taking tests. So before you sit down to flex those brain waves, grab one of these yummy beverages! 

1.) Coffee—despite getting a bad rap sometimes, drinking 2 to 3 cups of coffee per day is perfectly healthy for your body! Coffee is proven to have the most antioxidants in the average American’s diet and it provides a super energy boost for the brain! What could be better? Whether you’re new to coffee or a long time fan, coffee can help you feel more awake, alert, and focused. Just make sure you don’t over-do it because bathroom breaks are typically not permitted during finals so keep that in mind! 

2.) Black/Green Tea—personally, tea is not our favorite, BUT with all of the benefits that come along with it, how can you not give it a try? Tea is chalk full of antioxidants that help your brain stay healthy and a caffeine burst that helps with your concentration. Green tea is said to be the more beneficial of the two, but if it’s caffeine you want than aim for the black tea because it has a slightly larger caffeine content over green. 

3.) Water—it’s not always all about the caffeine. Water is more helpful than most realize. It hydrates your body, makes you feel alert, and even improves your skin and hair! Although we’re focusing on drinks for finals week, why not get twice the benefits for looking great this holiday season? Try drinking ice water often while studying. The coldness will help keep you alert, plus you’ll be moving around often to use the washroom. Feel free to throw in some of the Propel Energy packets or even Crystal Light Energy packets for a little flavor and variety. We love those little guys! So handy to just throw in your purse or backpack and add a boost on the go. 

4.) Protein Shakes—apparently protein deficiency can be a serious cause of tiredness in individuals in general. Treating yourself to a protein shake can fulfill all of your body’s nutrient requirements and fill you up with energy and rejuvenation. Caution: you cannot just mix in a packet of protein powder, it’s not enough. Your body requires carbohydrates that turns into the energy we use. Therefore it’s suggested you add fruit, yogurt, milk, etc., to boost the healthy vibe. Good thing they’re all super yummy! Plus you can feel good about what you’re putting into your body, and reap the benefits of energy and alertness for finals week. The best of both worlds. 

5.) 5 hour energy—big things come in small packages, right? 5 hour energy is a small energy shot in a plastic bottle that you can find almost anywhere. People swear by these little guys and they’re great especially if you don’t want to be drinking a big cup of coffee for the same result; cue the bathroom possibility. 5 hour energy will offer the same results as an energy drink, but in only a few gulps. Be careful not to pair this little guy with coffee, tea, etc., because too much caffeine can make you feel nauseous, not allow you to fall asleep, etc. There’s also a caution not to exceed more than 2 of these in one day for the same reasons. Grab one of these, throw it in your pocket, or drink it on the way into your final. You’re sure to feel awake, alert, and ready to rock your exam! 

Hopefully we’ve given you a few ideas of what drinks can help you get through finals this week. Plus, they’re all available right on campus! Best of luck on all of your exams. You’re almost there! 

HCXO, Jennifer & Melissa

Campus: University of Illinois at Chicago Major: English with a concentration in Media, Rhetorical and Cultural Studies Minor: Psychology, Sociology Melissa is born and raised in Chicago. She started out at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign before coming to UIC.
Campus: University of Illinois at Chicago Major: English with a concentration in Media, Rhetorical and Cultural Studies Minor: Germanic Studies Status: Senior Jennifer is a born and raised Chicago girl passionate about her studies. She loves to help people all that she can and contribute to the betterment of others. Used to being on the go, Jennifer is enthusiastic about obtaining her degree and learning many different things along the way. She is interested in music, movies, reading, volunteering, and is a major Blackhawks fan. Her dream is obtain her degree and work with writing in a fashion that will reach out to people.
UIC Contributor.