5 Books to Get You To Believe In Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

After the month of October, we are, in a way, over the costumes and candy. We have already had our share of fear and parties. There is now time to have a bit more of an optimistic and happy-go-lucky view on life. What better way to achieve this than learning more about love. There is nothing better in life than love. Love can exist in a number of ways and by many different circumstances. It comes when we least expect it, but when it does it comes to stay. We are fortunate enough to have one of the best selections of American Literature that sweeps us off of our feet.

1. “Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen.

This book will have you believing the love can break boundaries. The prejudice from Elizabeth Bennet and the pride of Mr. Darcy makes their love complicated from the start. Austen was an incredibly intelligent writer whose insights and experience with the hierarchical and sexist social structures during the Georgian Era are reflected in Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth’s characters. “Pride and Prejudice” demonstrates to us that love can exist in spite of society’s hand trying to destroy it. 

2. “Persuasion” by Jane Austen.

“Persuasion” has the most beautiful letter than, possibly, any book.

3. “1984” by George Orwell.

This may be considered more of a Science Fiction book, but the relationship between Julia and Winston is passionate and revolutionary. Although most of the book is focused on the fall of man and society, the relationship between Julia and Winston provide us with a bit of hope. The hell in which both characters live in only work in favor of making them come together. The secret note passing is both clever and brave. 

4. “The Giver” by Lois Lowry.

The idea that what is able to open the eyes of Jonas to the corruptness of the world in which he lives in is the red hair of his friend Fiona. Love made Jonas dig deeper into the what he sees every day. It sets off a spark in his memory, one of a love that has long been forgotten.

5. “The Time Traveler’s Wife” by Audrey Niffenegger.

The idea of time travel is fascinating. A husband travels back in time to make sure his wife meets him. It is a super romantic plot, where the love is the vehicle which makes this time traveler travel back in time. 

These books are my personal favorites. If you have time to read these awesome books, please do so. 

I am a creative person who enjoys learning about the ways in which art can take different forms. My passions include learning about issues that effect our lives; things ranging from politics, media, culture, music, art, philosophy, technology, or education. I am a Chicago native and an undergraduate student at UIC majoring in English and minoring in Film.
UIC Contributor.