This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

1. It brightens your day

Imagine walking home after a tiring day of work or school. You will most definitely not take notice of the plain exterior around you, and you will let the gray concrete compliment your fatigue. Suddenly, out of the corner of your eye, you catch glimpse of a beautiful mosaic. The bright colors energize you, even if it is for just a moment. It is something little, yet it makes all the difference. Street art puts a smile on our faces and makes us take a second look in awe.  

2. It can convey a political message

Regardless of one’s political views, we should all tip our hats to street art that makes us feel something. Whether it is laughter or rage, the artwork has done its job by touching us at our core. 

3. It provides the perfect background for you to pose by

Why would you want to pose by a plain wall, when you can pose by one that is just as exciting and beautiful as you are?

4. It captivates your imagination

Thanks to street art, you do not need to be walking around the fancy halls of an art museum to be mesmerized. It is beautiful and opens up the windows of the mind. 

"Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder." -Rumi
UIC Contributor.