10 Tips For A Happier, Healthier Lifestyle!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

As collegiettes, it can be tough to have a balanced diet and exercise regularly. With built up stress from classes and work we may neglect our physical and mental health. Sometimes we have to stop, take a breath and remember to take care of ourselves. Making an effort to be fit and maintain a healthy lifestyle is important and is something that can be possible! Here are ten tips that will lead you to a healthier, happier lifestyle.

1. Make sleep & eating priorities

As college students with hectic schedules being sleep deprived is pretty common. Starbucks is our best friend when it comes to pulling all-nighters, trying to cram for an exam, or finish a paper. Many times we may skip meals and simply munch on snacks to keep us running through the day. It is important to remember that our health comes first. Always, always try to eat balanced meals and get enough sleep at night. Both are vital when it comes to staying healthy.

2. Take the stairs, walk more, sit less

Whenever you have the option of taking an escalator or elevator versus taking the stairs, take the stairs! You may think it doesn’t impact your health, but it truly does! Any opportunity you have to move and keep your heart pumping, take it! It’s good to always be on the go. Try to not sit around a lot during the day, stay active.  A good way of doing this can be cleaning your apartment or dorm.  Lastly, try to not take public transportation to places that are at a walking distance. Every chance you have of staying active counts!

3. Plan exercise into daily routine

If you haven’t been to the gym in a long time, now is the time to start! Don’t leave what you can do today for tomorrow. There is no wrong time to work out. Do whatever time fits your schedule. Working out does not have to be dreadful, do workouts that you enjoy. It does not have to be going to the gym. You can also try doing workout classes such as “Cardio Kick”, there are free drop in classes at the UIC recreation facility on Halsted. Make your workouts fun by pumping up some music.  Once you get into a steady exercise schedule, your body will get used to using muscles you haven’t used before. Incorporating exercising into your schedule will definitely improve your health and overall lifestyle.

4. Eat colorful food

It’s a rule of thumb to eat more fruits and vegetables that are more vibrant in color.  By consuming food with more natural color, it is likelier that you are getting more nutrients into your diet. Some great examples are red pomegranates, sweet potatoes, and figs.

5. Eat slowly

Studies show that if a person eats their food slowly, they will consume fewer calories. It takes about 20 minutes for our brains to recognize that we are full. By eating slower, you will have more time to enjoy your food and it will lead to better digestion.

6. Drink more water!

Enough with the sugary filled pop and in with the ice cold water! I cannot stress how important it is to drink lots of water throughout the day and stay hydrated. It’s especially true in the summer, but equally important to drink enough water during colder temps. Drinking more water is one of the best tools for weight loss, is good for a healthy skin complexion, increases energy, and flushes out toxins.

7. Run, Run, Run!

When you work out at the gym you may go on the elliptical, a bike, lift weights, and work on your core. Something you should definitely incorporate in your workout routine is running. Oprah Winfrey once said, “Running is the greatest metaphor for life because you get out of it what you put into it.” Being a runner myself, I completely agree with Ms. Winfrey. I love the challenge that running presents. It tests a person’s endurance by utilizing almost every muscle the human body has. Out of all the fitness regimens, running burns the most calories. So run, run, run!

8. Eat until you’re satisfied, not full

Something we are all guilty of is eating way too much in one sitting. It can be hard to resist that all you can eat sushi buffet or that extra slice of cheesecake. One thing to keep in mind is that your goal should not be to eat until you are full, but to eat until you are satisfied. Overeating leaves us feeling sluggish and lazy. When we eat until we are satisfied, we don’t feel as heavy or stuffed, but feel more content with what we consumed.

9. Exercise your brain

Yes, going to the gym regularly is a plus, but we can’t forget to also exercise our brain as well. Aside from pretending to pay attention in lectures or completing assignments, it’s good to work out your brain once in a while. Most people only use a fraction of their brains at a time. Try something different like doing crossword puzzles or Sudoku. Try to hand write your notes instead of typing on a computer. Read a book that stimulates your imagination. There are many activities you can do to engage yourself with to work out your brain.

10. Love yourself, laugh more

Life is too short to waste on being unhappy or living with regrets. The gift of life is probably the best thing in the world and it should be a happy one. It’s important to not let struggles or difficult times discourage you from achieving your potential in life. This may sound cliché and cheesy, but love who you are and just be yourself. Other people will love you for who you are. So it’s okay to make mistakes, feel overwhelmed, or fear the future. Just remember to always stay positive and be happy. Live, laugh, love.

Nicole is a proud city girl born and raised in beautiful Chicago. She is currently a student at the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Business Marketing major and a part of the Women's Line Up Team at Nike Chicago. She loves everything to do with fitness & health, music, urban life, and sports! In her spare time she loves to run, ride her fixie along the lakefront, do yoga, and volunteer! She is a die hard Chicago Bulls fan with a huge sweet tooth. Nicole's dream is to have a career in marketing with a focus in brand management or advertisement and sales promotion.
UIC Contributor.