SGA President Candidate: Robert Comer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

With SGA elections rapidly approaching, Her Campus UH decided to let y’all get to know our presidential candidates a little bit better. Being involved in your campus community is an amazing opportunity—one that we as students should grab hold of! Think about the issues that are important to you- textbook prices, mental health resources, parking- and find a candidate who shares your point of views!                                     

Voting Days: February 28 – March 2

1. Goals are part of the reason you’re running for office, I presume. What’s one of your goals/ things you want to work on if you get elected?

One of our goals is to have room in the library be full of puppies at all times of the day.

2. Your running mate! Why did y’all decide to run together? What is your favorite thing about that person?

I chose True because of his critical thinking ability, and also his ability to clearly express his thoughts. I decided to ask him to be my Vice President candidate after he convinced a room full of people that Tuna has been mislabeled the “chicken of the sea”. True advocates that Tuna is more accurately the “Cow of the Sea” because of the size of Tunas and also the availability of Tuna steaks.

3. What are some of the organizations that you’re involved with on campus?

I’m currently an RA in CV1, the Chief of Staff of the Student Government Association and an Honors Ambassador       

4. Let’s talk about midday coffee fixes: What are the places that a UH student should hit up on and off campus? What drink is the one the barista probably has memorized as your drink at this point?

Uh oh… I know too much. So, Shasta’s is the sleeper here because NO-ONE goes there for coffee. Even though it is the same coffee at the Nook, people still don’t go there. I honestly don’t get it, people will wait inline at Starbucks for 20 minutes and receive inferior coffee and that drives me nuts.  Cougar Grounds is my favorite though, last semester the barista would know I wanted a medium coffee and a ranchero kolache. A ranchero kolache from Cougar Grounds is the most delicious item you can buy on campus. Off-campus, my favorite place to go is Fix Coffee bar. It’s a small coffee shop off of Westheimer, but the owner Jerry is a really great guy who knows a lot about coffee. Every time I’ve gone he’s taught me something new about coffee.  

5. Last thing! What’s your elevator pitch for why people should vote for you?

People should vote for us if they like what we have to share. We think we’re the candidates who connect best with students, and to us. that is important. Also, the 16 point plan we posted for campus has something in it that any student would like. 

Jacqueline is a current student at the University of Houston, and is pursuing a degree in Communications. She enjoys long walks to the bookstore, Korean BBQ, succulents, and chats about history. You can follow her everywhere @nobentspines.
Irina Alejandro is a sophomore at the University of Houston, getting a major in political science and two minors women's studies and international affairs. In her spare time she loves singing loudly in the shower, forcing herself to workout, and talking excessively about politics. She also enjoys long walks on the beach, going to PTA meetings and crying over minor inconveniences. If you want to contact her for a date, leave a comment on one of her articles.