Happy Birthday, George Takei

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

Happy Birthday to George Takei, who is turning 80 on April 20th, 2017! Takei is an American actor, director, author, and activist of Japanese descent. He is best known for his role as Hikaru Sulu, helmsman of the USS Enterprise in the television series Star Trek. 

Takei, himself a gay man, is an advocate for LGBT rights and is active in state and local politics. He won several awards and accolades for his work in human rights as well as the relationship between Japan and the United States. In 1965, producer Gene Roddenberry cast him as Lt. Sulu in the second Star Trek pilot and eventually the Star Trek television series. In 1972, Takei was an alternate delegate from California to the Democratic National Convention. The following year, he ran for a seat on the Los Angeles City Council. He finished second of five candidates in the special election and lost by only 1,647 votes. Takei was appointed to the board of directors of the Southern California Rapid Transit District by Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley. He was a part of the team that initiated and planned the Los Angeles subway system. 

Perhaps the best reason to honor George Takei is how flawlessly he tears down the Commander-in-Cheeto, Donald Trump, on social media: 

We hope this legendary man has a birthday that is at least half as great as he is! May George Takei live long and prosper!

Ariz is the Managing Director and a Campus Correspondent at HerCampus at the University of Houston. She is a candidate for a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science on the Pre-Law track. In her free time, she likes to catch up on sleep, listen to Supreme Court arguments, and rewatch Game of Thrones and Brooklyn Nine-Nine.