A Beginner’s Guide to Slaying Your Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

Having that “Instagram” look isn’t as hard or as extra as it looks. You’d be surprised as to how many girls who are learning how to do makeup for the first time want a natural look instead of bold brows. This guide is here to help!

PRIMER

-Always start with this step! Your makeup will last longer and depending on what brand you use, it will make your eyeshadow more vibrant. Primer also has skin care benefits! Some brands, such as Milani, have a mattifying formula, so when you apply it your face appears matte and smooth (which is a gem for oily skin).

Milani Prime Perfection Primer$10 Smashbox Photo finish Foundation Primer $36

CONCEALER/FOUNDATION

-Depending on who you ask, the order of the application of concealer and foundation varies. It all depends on what kind of look you are going for. If you want a more natural look, apply concealer first under your eyes in an upside down triangle, in between your eyebrows, and wherever else you have places you want to conceal, then apply foundation all with a damp beauty sponge. If you want a more brightening effect, apply your foundation first, then apply your concealer the same way, with a shade or two lighter than your foundation. If you want a matte finish, apply a little translucent powder to finish the look. Make sure to blend!

Maybelline Fit Me! Concealer$6.79NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer $30

Maybelline Fit Me! Matte and Poreless Foundation $7.99Lancome Teint Idole Ultra Wear Foundation $47

EYESHADOW

-This is where you get the most creative. From simple two-toned shadows to cut creases, this is where you have complete creative control to mix whatever shadows you want. There are makeup lovers who do this step first to avoid messing up their foundation and concealer. Doing this step first also makes it easier to shape the outer V of the eyeshadow by using concealer to clean up the edges. If you prefer a guide, here is a simple one.

Maybelline The City Mini Palette $9.99 Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Palette $42

EYEBROWS

-For beginners, I would suggest filling in your brows. You can take a brow pencil and lightly shade in your brows, then brush them out with a spoolie. Lastly, apply brow gel to set your brows and make them last all day.

Brow Pencil Colourpop.com $5 Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz $21

EYELINER/MASCARA

-This is a fun step because although applying eyeliner and mascara can completely kill your look with one accidental swipe (that can EASILY be cleaned up with a Q-Tip and some makeup remover), I find it quite therapeutic. Getting your wings even takes practice and it’s easier to get that practice by wearing only eyeliner and mascara often just to get a hang of it. It’s just easier to clean up with no eyeshadow applied. You can also get super creative with your eyeliner and make all kinds of new shapes and effects. Mascara is the easier part— just look down, swipe up and brush in a back and forth motion, similar to brushing your teeth!

Black Radiance Fine Line Liquid Eyeliner $3.19Kat Von D Tattoo Liner $20

Maybelline Great Lash Mascara $5.99  Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara $23

HIGHLIGHTER

-Applying highlighter is an optional step. This is just to finish off a look with some glow and radiance. For subtlety, use a fan brush and swipe lightly on your cheekbones. For intensity, use a brush similar to Anastasia Beverly Hills’ A23 brush and swipe lightly on your cheekbones. 

$4.99

$38

LIPSTICK

-This is the best step of the entire look! Picking out a lipstick can be difficult, but it is the most fun part! You can pick from many different formulas, shades and finishes to bring the whole look together. It can be worn with or without liner, so get as creative as you can!

Milani Amore Matte Lip Crème $7.99 Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick $20

Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick $7.49 Anastasia Beverly Hills Matte Lipstick $18

SETTING SPRAY

-The last step to completing your look and making it stay all day is to apply a setting spray. This sets your entire look making sure it won’t budge, bleed or wear off. 

NYX Matte Finish Setting Spray $8 Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray $32

It may seem like there are a lot of steps, and it is completely OK to omit some of them, but this is just a guide to help everyone who is just starting. Just remember to have fun, play and experiment! That’s where all the best looks come from!

Jazmin Washington is currently a Senior at the University of Houston who loves writing as much as she does eating. She is an aspiring cat lady and loves everything New York.
Irina Alejandro is a sophomore at the University of Houston, getting a major in political science and two minors women's studies and international affairs. In her spare time she loves singing loudly in the shower, forcing herself to workout, and talking excessively about politics. She also enjoys long walks on the beach, going to PTA meetings and crying over minor inconveniences. If you want to contact her for a date, leave a comment on one of her articles.