7 Books That You’ll Never Want To Stop Reading

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

Raise your hand if you have ever been personally victimized by Regina George, or by a world who thinks women are weak. I have gathered the top books that will help you embrace your #girlpower.

“No matter where you are in life, you’ll save a lot of time by not worrying too much about what other people think about you. The earlier in your life that you can learn that, the easier the rest of it will be.”

#GIRLBOSS is written by Sophia Amoruso. She tells you the story of how she came from dumpster diving to becoming CEO of Nasty Gal. It is written so realistically that you won’t feel like someone is giving you a motivational speech. This book manages to inspire those who wish to have a career in fashion, and those who don’t alike.

“Everything’s a risk. Not doing anything is a risk. It’s up to you.”

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon tells the story of Madeline Whittier. She has a rare disease that has not allowed her to leave her house for 17 years. She continues to live her monotonous life until one day she looks out the window and sees a boy moving in next door, Olly. For certain, she knows she will fall in love with him. Madeline will risk her life in order to keep her only friend and first love.

“Picture a ballerina in a tutu and toe shoes. What does she look like?” 

Life in Motion is written by the very talented ballerina Misty Copeland. Misty is the only African American soloist dancing with the America Ballet Theatre. She started dancing en pointe within just 3 months of taking her first dance class EVER! Life in Motion tells us how she broke the barriers and became an inspiration to thousands of little girls.

“However, if you do start crying in an argument and someone asks why, you can always say, “I’m just crying because of how wrong you are.”

Only Amy Poehler can manage to motivate us by using hilarious and humor. I mean, did you see her host the Golden Globes with Tina Fey? In her much coveted book Yes Please, she writes personal stories about love and friendships. She is so candid and personable you’ll feel as if you’re having a convo with the one and only Amy Poehler.

“While falling in love is fun, it’s not everything, and it’s not the antidote to an unfulfilled life, despite what Reese Witherspoon movies may tell you.”

Full Frontal Feminism by Jessica Valenti is your go to guide for all things feminism. She explains feminism without trying too hard or trying to convince you of something. With her witty and funny writing she breaks the stereotypes and lets us now we are strong individuals.

“You see some things I can teach you. Some you learn from books. But there are things that, well, you have to see and feel.”

A Thousand Splendid Suns is written by the acclaimed author of The Kite Runner Khaled Hosseini. It is the story of two young women, Mariam and Laila. They both face physical and emotional abuse simply because they are women. In this book we will live their journey and see how they overcome society’s injustice towards women.

“When someone shows you how little you mean to them and you keep coming back for more, before you know it, you start to mean less to yourself.”

It is not a surprise that Lena Dunham would write a book this good. Lena Dunham is an actress, writer, producer and director. If that’s girl power then I don’t know what is. Does the HBO series “Girls” sound familiar? Her book, Not Thatg Kind of Girl: A Woman Tells You What She “Learned” consists of personal essays in which she guides us through feeling lonely, trying to succeed in a world full of men, and proving yourself to others.

Madeline, also known as Maddie is a student at the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences. She is majoring in Spanish with a minor in Education. Maddie enjoys reading, wrting, and ballet. Follow her on Instagram: @maddieareyes
"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions."