3 Women Who Didn’t Need No Man

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

Happy women’s history month! Many times a woman’s success has been attributed to men– husbands and fathers receive the credit for the accomplishments of women. It’s also hard to feel like you can succeed without the support of a man; it is a man’s world out here, after all. So to all the women who think that they need the support of a man to make it big: below are three fabulous spinsters who didn’t need no man to achieve her success!

1. Coco Chanel 

(19 August 1883 – 10 January 1971)

Coco Chanel was a French fashion designer and businesswoman. Chanel was the founder of the Chanel brand and was credited with liberating women from the constrain of the “corseted silhouette” following World War I. She was at the forefront of the chic and sporty style of the 1920s– the flapper movement! 

2. Florence Nightingale 

(12 May 1820 – 13 August 1910)

Florence Nightingale was an English social reformer, statistician, and the founder of modern nursing. Nightingale served as a nurse during the Crimean War, she also established the first secular nursing school in England. She published several writings detailing her medical knowledge using simple language so it could be consumed by a wide array of individuals– she also pioneered the use of infographics to represent statistical data! 

3. Queen Elizabeth I of England 

(7 September 1533 – 24 March 1603)

Queen Elizabeth I of England was the Queen of England and Ireland from 17 November 1558 till her death; she was called The Virgin Queen, Gloriana or Good Queen Bess– Elizabeth was the last monarch of the House of Tudor. Elizabeth addressed an armada raised against the Spanish wearing a silver breastplate over a white gown in one of the most famous military speeches of all time. England enjoyed stability and great innovation of literature under her reign, which was called the Elizabethan Era!

(Cover Image)

Ariz is the Managing Director and a Campus Correspondent at HerCampus at the University of Houston. She is a candidate for a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science on the Pre-Law track. In her free time, she likes to catch up on sleep, listen to Supreme Court arguments, and rewatch Game of Thrones and Brooklyn Nine-Nine.