This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Your mouth is watering at the idea of mashed potatoes, stuffing, and a pile of turkey drizzled with gravy, but your head is aching from the variety of uncomfortable situations and conversations you could encounter over this family-filled holiday. Stick with us, collegiettes, and we’ll show you how to sidestep the trickiest of turkey traumas. 

Problem: Your house is filled to the brim with relatives and, no matter where you you turn, you can’t seem to escape a gaggle of giggling cousins or the inquisition of a curious aunt.

Solution: Take a walk! If you’ve spent hours insides hanging out with your family, nobody will blame you for getting a little bit of fresh air. You’ll get to take a quick break from entertaining and you’ll get a little bit of exercise. It’s a win-win!

Problem: You’re supposed to help cook the epic Thanksgiving dinner, and you totally just burned the pie.

Solution: Take a deep breath and apologize. Absolutely nobody is going to benefit from you hiding the evidence of blackened crust! If you ‘fess up fast, there will still be time to scramble for an alternative dessert possibility. If all else fails, save the sweet potato casserole or pumpkin bread for after dinner and call it a day.

Problem: Your grandmother/cousin/aunt just won’t stop asking whether you’re dating anyone.

Solution: If you’re single, smile and say you’re too busy focusing on your studies or getting involved on campus to have time for a significant other. If you actually are seeing someone, drop enough details so their curiosity is satisfied (think name, hometown, major, a fun fact or two) and then let it go. Either way, change the subject if you’re uncomfortable! Your dating life shouldn’t be the number one topic of conversation, so see if you can figure something else out.

Problem: The dinner table discussion gets a little too heated, turning a cozy chat into a full-blown argument. 

Solution: Whether the argument at hand is rooted in governmental politics or family politics, fights at the dinner table are never fun. If you’re in the middle of the fight, try to stay strong, sister! Hold your ground, but make sure to respect your elders if need be. If you’re not part of the argument, try to excuse yourself from the table. Give your mom a hand with the dishes and then you’ll look super helpful instead of like you’re avoiding the table. You sly collegiette, you.

Problem: “What are you majoring in? What are you doing after college?” Repeat for infinity.  

It may feel like you’re going to bite somebody’s head off if you get asked about your plans one more time, but there’s nothing you can really do to solve this problem. Just smile politely and tell them the truth: even if the truth is that you haven’t quite figured it out yet. Everyone has been there once! Then, do what you can to shine the focus on them instead. Ask your grandfather about his garden, or your cousin about the basketball league she joined. Most people are happy to talk about themselves, and this will help get the attention off you. 

Just remember, collegiettes- when it comes down to it, it feels good to be home with the people who will love you no matter what. Happy Thanksgiving!

Kendall is pursuing a bachelors in journalism and a masters in emerging media in at the University of Georgia. After joining Her Campus UGA in the fall of 2015, she became one of the team's Campus Correspondents in fall 2016. During this time, HC UGA has flourished, moving from the Bronze level all the way to Pink, and it has been selected for national partnerships including the Her Campus Tour in 2018. Kendall hopes to someday work in the intersection of technology and journalism, and she adores books, travel, volunteering, and the color teal.