Why Game of Thrones is Overrated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Game of Thrones is possibly one of the most talked about shows these days.  People say that they love it and have watched it multiple times in anticipation for the next seasons to premiere.  After watching all seven seasons myself, I have come to the conclusion that this show has gone on for too long.  This show has amazing graphics, a great cast that plays their characters well, and an occasional plot twist to keep audiences engaged.  It has been seven seasons of waiting for two major things to happen: Khalessi to go to Westeros with her dragons to take the throne and for the White Walkers to break through the North Wall.

For those who haven’t been living under a rock the past few years might have heard of a show called “Pretty Little Liars”.  Why do I bring up this show? Because it had the same issue of being too drawn out.  Anyone who was able to watch the show completely to find out who A is deserves an award.

I digress, the point is, how have there been seven seasons with about 12 episodes a season that are all an hour long, but all that we have watched is incest, huge battle scenes (which are actually pretty cool), and Aria become a psychopath.  There are more questions than answers at this point.  The sheer focus that is needed to watch this show and follow all of the dialogue is exhausting.  You could be on season six and there all of a sudden is a reference to season one!  Let’s get one thing straight, if you do not binge watch this show and have actually spent seven years watching it then how are you supposed to remember some of these things?

From all of the people that I have talked to about this show, one thing that has been agreed upon that makes others want to keep watching is how attractive the cast is.  If the only reason you continue to watch the show is because you find the cast attractive is that really a reason to continue watching?  There are plenty of other more interesting shows on television today that have equally attractive casts that you could watch.  You can also just Google the cast and set them as your phone screen to just stare at them all the time.

Anyone who is like me might also be intrigued by the romantic relationships that have somehow formed throughout this show.  If you’re also like me you might have realized at this point that if you’re more intrigued about the relationships of characters and not the main plot line of the White Walkers and Khalessi taking back the throne, then you probably shouldn’t be watching the show still.  Once again, there are plenty of other shows that you can grow invested into the relationships of the characters.

I have spent many months watching this show now and all that I know is that I am absolutely impressed by the people that have spent seven years watching this show and will now wait another two before the final season premieres.  Your focus and persistence in watching a fictional show is astounding.  Is the show decent? Yes. Would I recommend it to a friend? Probably.  Am I absolutely obsessed with this show? Definitely not.  So to everyone that keeps saying that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, you might want to reevaluate the fact that it has taken seven years for the main plot lines to even be relevant.

I am a sophomore at the University of Georgia pursuing a degree in Journalism with a minor in Art History. I love traveling to Atlanta to spend days at Ponce City Market, or just traveling anywhere with great food and cool street art.