person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

White Girl Wednesday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

It’s a Wednesday Thing.

The hash tag craze on social media gives all posts, tweets and updates a little more character. When days of the week get their own hash tag shout-out—well then you end up with #WhiteGirlWednesday or #WGW.

If #WGW looks familiar to you, it is more than likely you are recognizing its #WomenCrushWednesday origin.#WomenCrushWednesday is a day where social media users—particularly Instagram—upload photos to their account of admiration towards their favorite woman crush.

It seems that when the middle of the week arrives, timelines are filled with typically gorgeous women, often times sexually objectified for their beauty and physique.

Even though there are female users that have no fault in partaking in the Wednesday fun and giving props to women they are fans of, in general it is male users that turned #WhiteGirlWednesday into a matter of race favoritism.

What used to be a day of admiration open to all women of all walks of life, has now a hash tag primarily devoted to one.

There are several social media platforms devoted to the hash tag.

Twitter account White Girl Week promotes “White Girls! 18+ ONLY.” It is not hard to find hundreds of posts of Tumblr tagged #WhiteGirlWednesday. Then there is Instagram where memes accompanied with #wgw and #snowbunnies endorse photos of women in provocative poses or imply the racial divide amongst women.

While men are among the majority that do Wednesday posting, it is quite normal to see that black men will let their followers know Wednesday has arrived.

The complexity of why white women are favored by black men has even gone through the extent of being compiled in lists.

Marisa Mendez’s “Officially Ice’s 10 Reasons Black Guys Prefer White Girls”, number one reason is “White girls are just more FUN.”

In the post, “I Understand Why Men of Color Fantasize About White Women”, the number two reason is the “stereotype” of white women’s gentile demeanor.

In college, student male athletes have no shame in reinforcing some of the stereotypes against groups of people when they approve posts and tweets to their account.

Here at UGA, a student athlete found his door plastered with comebacks from black women who found his tweets disrespectful towards black women.

One read “AND ON THE FIRST DAY, GOD CREATED BLACK WOMEN” with the hash tag #BLACKGIRLSROCK.

Does #WhiteGirlWednesday do more harm than good or is a just another trend fad? Tell us at HC about.

Born in Savannah, Ga., Kayla is a third-year Journalism student at the University in Georgia.
A student journalist at the University of Georgia, Brittini Ray has been writing for HCUGA since fall 2011. This past spring, she became the president of Her Campus UGA. Brittini also interns for zpolitics.com. She hopes to learn more about news and the journalsim industry.   Follow Brittini on Twitter