prateek katyal xv7 GlvBLFw unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
prateek katyal xv7 GlvBLFw unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Social Media Threats to Universities Today

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Everyone at the University of Georgia knows about the events on Friday, September 19. At 12:05, during a class change, all UGA students who were signed up with the alert services, received a warning call, text or email, telling them to stay away from the Miller Learning Center (MLC). A mild chaos ensued as students were evacuated from the MLC and the Tate Student Center. Rumors flew across the campus with tales of bombs, shooters and stabbings. Frantic callings to friends and texts to others occurred as students feared the worst, as generally happens with these situations. Parents, learning of the events, called their children, worried about their safety. The cause of this panic: a post to a social media site known as Yik Yak.

At the University of Alabama, a similar threatening message was posted to a YouTube video under the name “Authur Pendragon,” and there was an unconfirmed report of armed individuals on campus which led to the lockdown of an all-female dorm for several hours. 

This leads to the role of social media at universities today. While we all love getting on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. It is important to note the risks that these sites come with. With the vast network of information systems that connect a university, it is easy for a single person to spread panic. Although I am in no way advocating censorship, it is important for students to remember that what they say on social media, even as a joke, may be taken seriously because real threats have been reported through these sources in the past.

As a contrasting opinion, social media can be an incredible tool for ensuring safety. After the Yik Yak threats at UGA were noticed by police and other university officials, students were notified through various means, including social media. Helpful students posted warnings and updates on Facebook to large groups of students. Others used Instagram to photograph the evacuation of the MLC, demonstrating that others should stay away.

In essence, it is simply important to remember that social media sources are what you make of them in college. They are used to make threats and to warn others of threats. Therefore, it is always important to be mindful of how your impact on these sites. As Germany Kent said, “Social media is your platform to build a unique fan base while you express yourself exactly how you see yourself. Build wisely.” 

Danielle is a senior at the University of Georgia majoring in English and minoring in Sociology. You can usually find her dividing her time between being Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UGA, binge-watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix and daydreaming about being one of Beyonce's backup dancers. If you want to know more about Danielle, you can follow her on Instagram (@danielleknecole_) or Twitter (@DanielleKnecole).