A Single Girl’s Survival Guide: Widening Your Dating Pool

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

“Being single doesn’t mean you’re weak, it means you’re strong enough to wait for what you really deserve.”

Hey all you sassy singles! Have you ever been in a situation where you feel like you’re in a social rut? You go to the same places and see the same people on a day-to-day basis and now don’t really know how to meet new ones? Though we go to class at such a big campus, sometimes we focus too hard on our schedules and forget to branch out! Here are some ideas that you could do to break the norm, branch out and meet some potential new crushes.

1. 
Sit with completely random strangers when going to the dining halls.
We know it can be a little intimidating to just go up to a table and ask if it is all right to eat with complete strangers, but some of the best friends are made that way! Plus, some guys like girls who take the initiative. Next time you go into Snelling or ECV, be brave and ask to sit with someone new! You might find a great new guy!

2. Try studying in a different environment.
Instead of going to the SLC and studying in a room with people you already know, branch out! Try going to the library to study. You might meet someone who is studying for the same thing!  If you’re feeling really adventurous then you could even try studying in the law library. Who knows? You might meet a few cute future lawyers.

3. Go to campus activities and be social!
It’s hard, sometimes, to go to campus activities and talk to people outside of the group that you are with, but try striking up a conversation while standing in line for campus activities such as Dawgs After Dark! A lot of activities that the University Union hosts have lines for some reason or another. The cute guy in front of or behind you might be trying to strike up the nerve to talk to you, anyways. Even if you aren’t a true people person, in crowds you can always fake it! Bring out the bubbly personality inside of you! You never know who’s watching.
*A great way to keep up with all the fun activities going on around UGA is by checking the UGA Calendar.

4. 
Try new clubs to get involved with.
Different clubs have different members. So if you really want to branch out, try going to a club meeting that you wouldn’t normally go to.  You’d be surprised at the people you may meet. You might even like the club enough to join.  And there are so many different clubs around campus that at least one has something in your field of interest. And once you go to a meeting, you can introduce yourself to people with similar interests and can start a conversation from that!
*For a list of all the great clubs and organizations at UGA, take a look at the Center of Student Organizations.

5. Talk to someone new in class.
I know I’m guilty of going into class and, if I don’t know anyone, I’ll keep to myself. But, instead of just hiding your head in a book or other homework, try conversing with the person next to you. You might find something in common besides the class you are sitting in. And it’s always fun to learn new things about new people, too.

So if you’re feeling like your pool of guys keeps getting smaller, don’t fret. Just try out a few of these tips because you never know where the perfect guy for you might be hiding.

Danielle is a senior at the University of Georgia majoring in English and minoring in Sociology. You can usually find her dividing her time between being Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UGA, binge-watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix and daydreaming about being one of Beyonce's backup dancers. If you want to know more about Danielle, you can follow her on Instagram (@danielleknecole_) or Twitter (@DanielleKnecole).