Sarah Martin: Gamma Sigma Sigma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Meet this week’s campus celebrity, Sarah Martin!

Sarah is a fourth-year Human Development and Family Science major. You’ve probably seen her around campus, especially at the Tate Student Center where she works as an Information Desk Associate. No matter where you’ve seen her, she’s probably been with a guide dog, as she’s currently raising her third one, Harper.

“I feel like I connect so well with animals and it’s something I enjoy,” Sarah said on her reasoning behind joining the Guide Dog Foundation (GDF). “It’s cool to know these animals can make a difference in someone’s life one day.”

Along with her love for raising guide dogs, Martin also loves to serve the local community. She is currently the president of Gamma Sigma Sigma, a service sorority on campus.

“I was very against sororities at the beginning and for me personally, I love Gamma Sig because not only does it give you a sense of a family, but it also gives you so many opportunities to serve the community,” she says. She also loves the diversity that Gamma Sigma Sigma has.

With her background in GDF and her service in Gamma Sigma Sigma, it’s only natural that Sarah wants to, one day, help others as a career.

“I’m very passionate about helping our veterans and people with emotional issues,” she explains. “I want my released dog, Bear, to become a certified therapy dog that can assist these people.”

If Sarah had to say one thing that she can take away from her experience in GDF and community service it’s that the end result is always the best part.

“Sure it’s so hard to give up your dog at the end of its training with you, but the impact you know that dog is going to make on someone’s life is totally worth it.”

I'm a Fashion Merchandising student at the University of Georgia! I love fashion, pugs and Beyonce. 
Danielle is a senior at the University of Georgia majoring in English and minoring in Sociology. You can usually find her dividing her time between being Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UGA, binge-watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix and daydreaming about being one of Beyonce's backup dancers. If you want to know more about Danielle, you can follow her on Instagram (@danielleknecole_) or Twitter (@DanielleKnecole).