The Runway Done Your Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Every season our TVs, computers, and senses are bombarded with the newest trends in the fashion world. While these trends are easily absorbed by fashion pros, the rest of us are left seeing patterned fabrics and dreaming in colors of the rainbow.

How does the everyday collegiette fashionista sort through the feathers and funk to make someone else’s fashion their own style? We’ve found some of UGA’s very own stylistas to help lay down the ground rules on how to make this season’s top looks be campus cool. Sources such as Elle, Glamour, and Bazaar have listed their favorite looks of Spring 2012; here are the top five we saw around campus and the girls who rocked them:

Birds

Seen on: Giles, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Kenzo, and Commuun
Common Problem: As an overpowering print, bird patterns are often underutilized and not even attempted by the faint of heart, and even then the pattern remains a challenge to pair with any type of serious outfit
The Key: The easiest way to wear a bird print is to keep it small, in both print and quantity. Accessories are your best friend and the easiest way to incorporate hard to wear prints. If you wish to wear a bird print in a blouse keep the prints small and avoid having giant birds on your shirt.

Campus Stylista: Kaitlin Westbrook
Why It Works: Not only is Kaitlin’s outfit cute, but she’s also sportin’ an adorable birdie purse that’s not only neutral enough to go with any outfit but stylish as well, and the perfect place to display a new avian trend.

[pagebreak] Loud Colors

Seen On: Steven Alan, Nanette Lapor, Ruffian, Rag & Bone
Common Problem: Knowing how to appropriately tone down louder colors can be tricky.
The Key: Choose one color and localize it in a single area, whether it is your shirt, pants, or accessories. Stay mindful that the rest of your outfit is neutral to avoid confliction with the colors.

Campus Sylista: Olivia Lee, Freshman
Why It Works: While loud colors can be overwhelming in an entire outfit, Olivia keeps it cool by localizing a gorgeous tangerine color in a trendy blazer, and pairing it with a clean neutral outfit

Graphic Prints

Seen on: Lacoste, Vera Wang, Cynthia Rowley
Common Problem: It can be easy to lose yourself under a wild print.
The Key: When wearing prints pair them with a neutral, such as a white shirt or black jeans. When wearing a single print in a dress, everything comes down to proportion. If you have a small frame, bigger prints can overwhelm you, while smaller prints look best in skirts or scarves on curvier women.

Campus Stylistas: Chandni Duphare, Sophomore and Elizabeth Gaston, Senior
Why It Works: Both Chandni and Elizabeth had such amazing outfits that I couldn’t choose between the two of them! Elizabeth displayed a gorgeous outfit with a dazzling skirt, and Chandni correctly paired a pretty blue printed dress with shades of blue and grey in her overcoat and leggings. Koodo’s to them both!

[pagebreak] Safari Inspirations

Seen On: Michael Kors, Donna Karan, Burberry, Oscar de la Renta
Common Problem: The Cougar Effect
The Key: Pick a single print and wear ONLY that print; as much as we may want it to zebra prints do not go with leopard. Most importantly, if in doubt, keep it small, there is no shortage of amazing safari inspired accessories in stores all over Athens. Once you build your confidence, then you can work your way up to safari inspired shirts, skirts, or dresses

Campus Stylista: Emily Gilbert, Senior
Why It Works: Instead of letting this safari print overwhelm her, Emily mastered her inner animal and flaunted this cute scarf through Tate, amping up her every day wear and topping it all off with a pair of to-die-for boots!

Metallics

Seen On: Diesel, Theysken’s Theory
Common Problem: Avoiding looking like you’ve just arrived from the 1980’s and are heading to a disco party The Key: Never wear metallic tops and bottoms at the same time, trust me, unless you’re heading to an 80’s themed party, it doesn’t work. When wearing metallic it’s important to keep the rest of your outfit, including accessories matt and simple. Metallics can be dressed up for parties, or dressed down; a pretty metallic t-shirt paired with jeans can add a nice touch to a simple week day outfit. Metallics can also be added through accessories, and nowadays it’s easy to find outfits with simple clean metallic finishes.

Campus Stylista: Breonne Harris, Freshman
Why It Works: Breonne spices up a simple outfit of a T-Shirt and jeans with a shiny metallic scarf, and showing off the perfect way to add in smaller metallic accents into your outfit to give it a little something extra.

Styles will change but the key to rocking the fashion world’s latest trends is to make them your own. What trend will you be rocking?

Sophia Fredericksen is a junior at University of Georgia studying magazine journalism. She has written for a wide variety of publications including Her Campus Ohio University, College Fashion, Thread Magazine, and JAYE magazine. Now she is the Editor of Her Campus UGA. In her free time she enjoys reading fashion magazines, playing dress up, taking pictures and trying new food. She hopes to one day write for a fashion magazine in either New York or LA.