Oscars 2012: Fab or Drab?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

While the Oscars exhibits the most famous stars in Hollywood, famous doesn’t always equal fashion savvy. While some stars dawned some of the most exquisite dresses to grace the red carpet, the public also viewed some of the most severe styling blunders seen at the 2012 Academy Awards.

Best Dressed:

Looking regal in a gold and black Alexander McQueen dress, The Help’s Jessica Chastain floated down the red carpet like royalty.

Stacy Keibler lit up the Red Carpet in her gold Marchesa gown.

Talk about making a statement! Missi Pyle wows the crowd with not only her blue green ensemble, but also through the make of it. The Valentina Delfino dress was created with eco-friendly fabric from silkworms bred in a cruelty-free environment.

Always stunning, Cameron Diaz’s elegant style was once again seen in this nude Gucci gown.

While Michelle Williams is not known for her gorgeous fashion decisions, she certainly chose correctly in wearing this coral creation from Louis Vuitton.

Go to the next page to see who made our worst dressed list!
[pagebreak]
Worst Dressed:

If we were judging solely based on color, Viola Davis would receive an “A”. However, the cut of this Vera Wang dress failed to flatter The Help actress.

It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s…Gwyneth Paltrow?  The actress’s attempt at regal took a wrong turn down Superhero Lane and landed her on our worst dressed list.

Apparently, Christmas came early on the Red Carpet. The Help’s Emma Stone looked like a present ready to be unwrapped with the gigantic bow detail.

Jennifer Lopez went all out at the Academy Awards this February. The plunging neckline, the slit sleeves and overall fit of the dress led to a disappointed crowd as J-Lo strutted down the Red Carpet.

Garbage bag came to mind when we saw Anna Faris on the Red Carpet. The shiny, black, plastic-like material should be banned from all fashion designers.   

While Angelina Jolie is known for making  best dressed this year’s look brought her down to our worst dressed list. The dress itself was not memorbale but what got the most talk was her leg. It even earned its own twitter.

Disagree with any of the stars on our list? Who do you think was the best and worst dressed? Let us know!

Photos courtesy of Hollywood Reporter.com

Sophia Fredericksen is a junior at University of Georgia studying magazine journalism. She has written for a wide variety of publications including Her Campus Ohio University, College Fashion, Thread Magazine, and JAYE magazine. Now she is the Editor of Her Campus UGA. In her free time she enjoys reading fashion magazines, playing dress up, taking pictures and trying new food. She hopes to one day write for a fashion magazine in either New York or LA.