This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

It’s a big year for Harry Potter fans ever. The play Harry Potter and the Cursed Child will premiere in London this summer, the movie Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them will come out this fall, and J. K. Rowling recently released a set of short stories called “History of Magic in North America.”

The four stories look at different parts of North American history through a magical lens, including the Salem Witch Trials and Native American culture. As much as Potter fans were excited for new content, Rowling is facing a lot of backlash for poorly researched history and cultural appropriation. The stories include several generalizations and stereotypes about Native Americans, as well as the reconstruction of several established Native American traditions to fit her fictional ideas about the wizarding world. 

The other stories are an interesting glimpse of the wizarding world in North America, but they’re just thata glimpse. The stories were criticized for being shallow and not a well-researched interpretation of American history. At least she tried?

Don’t worry J.K., we still love you!

Kendall is pursuing a bachelors in journalism and a masters in emerging media in at the University of Georgia. After joining Her Campus UGA in the fall of 2015, she became one of the team's Campus Correspondents in fall 2016. During this time, HC UGA has flourished, moving from the Bronze level all the way to Pink, and it has been selected for national partnerships including the Her Campus Tour in 2018. Kendall hopes to someday work in the intersection of technology and journalism, and she adores books, travel, volunteering, and the color teal.