Kylie Lip Kits: Are They Worth the Hype?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

If you’re into makeup, especially matte liquid lipsticks, then you have probably heard of Kylie Cosmetics. In October of last year, Kylie Jenner released her first product, the Kylie Lip Kits, in three colors. Highly publicized and extremely anticipated, her first batch sold out online in less than a minute. The struggle was real as millions of girls worldwide tried to get their hands on such a sought-after item.

Fast forward a year after the crazy success of her lip kits, and now Kylie has expanded her line of products exponentially, adding metal matte liquid lipsticks, lip glosses, kyshadow, and kyliner. Though more accessible (with her products more consistently in stock), makeup from her brand is still very highly sought after. The only questions that remain now are, first, are her products worth the cost and, second, does the actual quality of her products match the hype that they get? 

Koko K, Candy K, and Dolce K pictured above.

As someone that owns 10 Kylie Cosmetics lip products, you might say that I am a fan. However, I am not so much of a fan of the price tag that comes along with it. It’s not an easy thing to drop $29 on a lip kit, $18 on a metal matte, or $15 on a lip gloss (they add up). Therefore, I recommend putting some thought into whether or not you really think they’re worth it for you personally after I explain my viewpoint.

Lip kits, as the most expensive, do come with both the liquid lipstick and the lip liner, so it is logical that they cost that much. Now with quite a few colors available for individual purchase (with some liners and lipsticks sold separately), singles of liners come out to $14, and singles of lipsticks come out to $17. Therefore, by purchasing them separately you would end up spending $2 more than what would be paid for the lip kit alone. Now that all the prices are out there, I want to affirm that yes, I do think they’re worth the price. Not simply because of the quality, but because I genuinely love each product that I’ve purchased. This is why it’s up to the individual— it’s important to try out a product before stocking up.

Swatches of some of her lip kits on different skin tones.

The only problem with buying one thing is the cost of the shipping. Once you determine whether you like the products or not (watching YouTube videos and other forms of reviews are very helpful if you’re having doubts about ordering that first one), it’s a good idea to order multiple at once. Shipping is around $7 or $8 I believe, and there are rarely deals for free shipping, so make the most of each purchase once you’ve got your mind made up. The most recent instance of free shipping I’ve seen was September 15th, so I assume it will happen again in the future, but I was shocked when I knew that it was happening (it was the first time I’d ever seen it). If you’re interested in finding out when restocks and any deals are, I recommend following Kylie Jenner or her makeup brand on social media. On another note, something else that leads me to believe that they are worth the cost is that the original price you see has tax included in it. Therefore, the whole idea of “what you see is what you get,” applies in this situation; this is convenient because you’ll know exactly how much you’re paying before even hitting the checkout.

Kyshadow packaging and product pictured above.

Now secondly, are the products worth the hype? If you can’t tell by this point, I have only tried out the lip products. Therefore, I can’t vouch for the Kyshadow and the Kyliner, but I can say that I have been very impressed by all the lip products I have tried. Since I own 5 lip kits, 4 metals, and 1 gloss, in comparing them, I have noticed that they all have their advantages and disadvantages. However, in regards to the application, the formula, the colors, the pigment, and the long-wearing aspect of the lip kits to begin with, I can definitely say that there are more positives than negatives – they are my favorites. While the metal liquid lipsticks are also pretty good products in all those areas, they do not dry completely matte, so it is important to keep that in mind if you’re thinking about purchasing them (they transfer more easily). Finally, the glosses are nice because they provide a good color pay-off, but aren’t sticky. At the same time, however, they are the least long-wearing. This makes sense because they are a gloss, but I still view it as a disadvantage.

Overall, I personally believe that the lip products are worth both the price and the hype, but at the end of the day, it’s up to you and your preferences. I highly recommend trying out the various products of Kylie Cosmetics, but I will also leave you by saying do your research and think about if the purchases will be worth it to you individually before placing your order.