Kalila Clarke: College Horsemen’s Association President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Our latest campus celebrity Kalila Clarke, is from Atlanta, Georgia and is a junior here at UGA. As an Animal Science major with an Emphasis in Equine Science and Management, Kalila is able to learn about many different animals including horses, which she considers to be her favorite animal.

Being someone that has such a passion for horses, it’s not surprising at all that Kalila is the President of the Collegiate Horseman’s Association, which is a horse interest club. Having loved horses her whole life, she was super excited to have discovered the club after attending an activities fair.  It has allowed her to express her love of horses with people who are just as in love with horses as she is.

Kalila is also very involved in other organizations on campus. She is the Fundraising Chair of the Caribbean Student Association, a member of Minorities in Agricultural and Natural Resources and Related Sciences, and the Director of Outreach of She’s the First at UGA. These clubs keep her very busy throughout the week and constantly running around, attending meetings and other events.

When she is not attending various club meetings, Kalila can be found riding horses. Back home in Atlanta, she has her own horse named Two Socks that she loves to attend barrel races with anytime that she can. Barrel racing, a very popular western sport, is a speed and accuracy race. Kalila enjoys participating in the races, but also likes to go on trail rides and teach other kids how to ride horses.

In the future, she hopes to own her own horse farm while also being a veterinarian technician at a large animal hospital, where she would love to conduct research on Equine Infectious Diseases. For now, Kalila is perfectly fine enjoying her time at UGA. One of her favorite spots on campus is North Campus which she considers to be a pretty peaceful place. She thinks it’s perfect for just laying down to study or even to take a nap. So far, her favorite memories of UGA have been on football game days. For her, there is nothing like seeing the sea of red and black, the bright, late summer sun and the barking of thousands of fans who share the same love for our wonderful university.

If you’re a fellow horse lover and enjoy Saturdays in Athens, then you’ll get along just fine with Kalila!

A student journalist at the University of Georgia, Brittini Ray has been writing for HCUGA since fall 2011. This past spring, she became the president of Her Campus UGA. Brittini also interns for zpolitics.com. She hopes to learn more about news and the journalsim industry.   Follow Brittini on Twitter