How to Say Goodbye to ‘The Vampire Diaries’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Since 2009, Ian Somerhalder (Damon) and Paul Wesley (Stefan) have stolen our hearts. I am still personally recovering from the finale because I have kept up with this show for all of its eight seasons since I was a middle school fetus. With the last episode airing Friday, like many of you, I now don’t know how I’m going to get over the loss of this show. Like all fans, this TVD fandom has been with me for eight solid years. No longer are we going to have to wait a summer hiatus for the next season, but there will never be a new season again. Luckily I have been researching, and there are some steps we can take to fill the void.

1. Don’t say goodbye at all. Rewatch all of the seasons.

If you just can’t handle the end, start it from the beginning! This series has been going on for eight years, so it would be cool to finally watch it all the way through. 

2. Watch movies that the stars are in.

The greatest part about this show was the acting. Nina Dobrev, Ian Somerhalder, Paul Wesley, Kat Graham, Candice King, and the others were all phenomenal actors. Catch them in other TV shows or movies if you can’t get enough of them. Some of them include Lost (Ian Somerhalder), Fallen (Paul Wesley), Where’s the Money (Kat Graham), Juno (Candice King), and xXx: The Return of Xander Cage (Nina Dobrev). 

3. Read the books!

The television show is actually based off of L.J Smith’s The Vampire Diaries book series. While the books are very different than the show, the characters from the book are there, and there is some resemblance to the TV story line. There are six books in the series.

4. Watch The Originals *contains spoilers*

*Do not read the next couple of sentences unless you have seen the finale.* The Originals is a spin-off of the original vampires that appeared on The Vampire Diaries. It is set in New Orleans, and there are four seasons so far, and there are hopefully more on the way with hints from The Vampire Diaries finale that Caroline would be a part of it soon, getting together with Klaus (I’m also hoping we will see Bonnie in it as well). Both of their fates were very open-ended in the finale, and I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot more of them. 

*Spoilers done!*

5. Binge watch other shows

What better way to get over something than to get addicted to something else? My suggestions include SupernaturalOnce Upon a TimeThe Secret Circle, and Game of Thrones. All of the shows listed provided paranormal worlds, suspense and mystery aspects in their plots that remind me of The Vampire Diaries.

I am a freshman at The University of Georgia this year who is an intended journalism major.