How to Handle UGA as a Transfer Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Let’s be real, we all know that UGA is one of the toughest schools. Whether it’s hard professors, impossible tests, and sleepless nights involving studying constantly, the University of Georgia has proved that it’s one of the hardest SEC schools. Unlike Alabama, Ole Miss, or LSU, the students actually have to sign something other than just their name. After all, UGA was declared as a ‘public ivy’ league school. Through hard work and dedication, each student either gets accepted from high school or transfers from another college. With being a transfer student this semester myself, I wish that I would’ve had someone to tell me how to handle this school. Over the past few months, I’ve been able to positively transition at this school (until my grades come out). By experiencing new things around me, I’ve wanted to help other transfer students on how to tackle the Red & Black. 

1. Study Study Study

At this school, studying is an absolute MUST. If you don’t study for at least four hours a day, you’re pretty much screwed. Make sure you study as much as possible. If you’re spending five hours a day in the MLC, you’re doing it right.

2. Office Hours or Tutoring

Being independent is always difficult when you forbid yourself to ask for help. But at this school, you need all the help you can get. It’s totally normal! No one told me to go to office hours, but going to my professors’ offices has helped tremendously. These teachers will help you in the best way that they can. Tutoring is also a life saver when you can have someone teach you something when your actual teacher isn’t the best at his or her job. My tutor has helped me tremendously, and I don’t know what I’d do without her. Also, it’s free if it’s through the student peer program. Don’t ever be afraid to ask for help!

3. Constantly Check eLC & UGA Email

ELC is super helpful with figuring out your grades on certain assignments and finding your overall grade in the class. Teachers will post assignments on here, and you can check your grades constantly. Checking the UGA email is also super helpful because it sends you certain updates on your account, job fairs, major events, and opportunities within the school and the community.

4. Make Time for Working Out

Working out and exercising is always a good thing to have on your daily routine. It’s been proven that working out helps with stress. With being in college and on a weird meal plan, working out can also help you stay in shape and not gain that freshman fifteen. 

5. Sleep

Even though you may be studying your booty off, going to a party, or hanging out with friends – be sure to make time for sleep. As teenagers and young adults, we need as much sleep as possible in able to function. The more sleep you get, the better you’ll be able to focus and have a better day!

6. Have Fun

School always comes first, BUT we’re still in college. These are supposed to be the best years of our lives, right? So don’t be afraid to go out and meet new people. Go to that party if you get all of your work done. Hang out with your friends even though you may want to be anti-social and stay in your room. Get out there and make a life for yourself! 

All photo credits to stocksnap.io

My name is Sloan Lewandoski. I'm currently a junior and a communications major at the University of Georgia. A ton of writing is used in my major, and I love being able to write for something that people will want to read. I eventually want to start my own career in real estate, home improvement, or interior design. I want to write on the side for each free moment I have.