How To Get Around UGA and Athens (Free Transportation)!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

You may have already noticed that the Transit System in Athens is probably better than any transit system in Metro Atlanta. Correction: Athens Transit is better than Metro Atlanta transit. If you don’t have a car on campus, don’t worry. There are several ways to get around town and campus without having to pay a dime. That’s right, in Athens you can travel for FREE! UGA has its own bus system that operates during the week days with limited operation on the weekends and will take you only to locations on campus. UGA Bus is by far the most convenient way to get from the Heath Science Campus to Tate or from the Main Library to Vet Med and everything in-between. On the other hand, Athens Transit is a great choice to get to destinations off campus. Several routes will take you to and from Kroger, Wal-Mart, Georgia Square Mall, Athens Regional Hospital, as well as most off-campus student housing. 

Key Advice

Knowing the routes could allow you to live and work off campus while still going to school, without needing to have your own vehicle to do it. Athens Transit is free for UGA students and staff who have their UGA ID card with them. If you are without your UGA ID card, you will have to pay $1.75 in exact change– no credit or debit cards are accepted. 

Finding the Best Commuter Apps 

At first, the bus routes can be a whole bunch of codes, numbers, and abbreviations that mean nothing to you if you are not familiar with the geography of UGA or Athens. Fortunately, there are two applications that will help you better navigate and plan your routes from any location. These two applications are UGA App and Google Maps. Each application features unique characteristics, and depending on who you are and where you plan to go, you may find one more favorable than the other. The best way to find out which one is best for you, is to explore both apps when you have some free time. Below is a quick comparison chart to illustrate some of the top identifying features that students can receive on the UGA App vs Google Maps.

Ready to Go… 

Consider taking advantage of Athens Transit and the UGA Bus to commute around campus and town. Not only is it the best option for your budget, it could be the best option for those times when you don’t have any other way to get where you need to go. A car should never be the limit to your educational, social, and personal life and neither should not knowing how to get to class. Take some friends and hop on a bus, you won’t regret it.