photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

How to Deal with a Challenging Family over Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Sure, a lot of families are great. But sometimes it’s a different story when you have to deal with them on the holidays. If dealing with your family over the holidays is quite the struggle, look no further. We’ve got you covered with a few suggestions on how to deal with your family this Thanksgiving. 

1. Take a deep breath (and another one, and another one until it calms you down.)

2. Volunteer to help out in the kitchen- help set up, get drinks for relatives, anything to get you away from awkward questions and judgment. Just be careful when cooking. 

3. Stuff your face with food to avoid answering awkward questions.

4. Try to think of Black Friday and all the fun things you’ll buy the next day.

5. Don’t be confrontational or sensitive. Just accept your family as they are and try to still have a fun Thanksgiving. Just see the positives like good, non-dining hall food. 

Hey! My name is Jean and I write for Her Campus UFL. I am a sophomore and my major is political science. I love working out, watching netflix, shopping, having fun with friends, going to the beach, and eating (especially chipotle). I hope you enjoy my stories. Go Gators
Danielle is a senior at the University of Georgia majoring in English and minoring in Sociology. You can usually find her dividing her time between being Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UGA, binge-watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix and daydreaming about being one of Beyonce's backup dancers. If you want to know more about Danielle, you can follow her on Instagram (@danielleknecole_) or Twitter (@DanielleKnecole).