Hip-Hop & R&B Jams That Will Make You Proud to Be a 90s Baby

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

The 1990s is probably the most underrated decade in terms of the music it produced. Here are some classic hip-hop and R&B hits that continue to inspire all artists across many generations. 

1. “Can I Kick It?” (1991)

Album: The Anthology

Artist: A Tribe Called Quest

A Tribe Called Quest is a famous alternative hip-hop group that has been making music off and on since 1985. The group consists of four members: Q-Tip, Phife Dog, Jarobi White, and Ali Shaheed Muhammed. When the men were 19 years old, they were already on their third single, creating mesmerizing beats, with honest and organic lyrics. “Can I Kick It?” has been referenced in songs by Drake and Jay-Z. The song has even caught the attention of the international artists: Lykke Li, Bent & 7Berg, and Horrorshow.

2. “Stressed Out(feat. Faith Evans)[LP Version]” (1996)

Album: The Anthology

Artist: A Tribe Called Quest

This song really illustrates the importance, beauty, and fear of having a confidante. The song juxtaposes the beauty of Faith Evans’ voice on the chorus with the seriousness of the rap narrative style lyrics. This combination creates a perfect storm of pain wrapped in hope. 

3. “Everything is Everything” (1999)

Album: The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

Artist: Lauryn Hill

Lauryn Hill is a master genius, and all of her songs served a greater purpose of living an honest life, and loving who you are no matter what other people say or think about you. In this song, she comes out and says: “I wrote these words for everyone who struggles in their youth, who won’t accept deception, instead of what is truth.” Her music video was nominated for a Grammy, Soul Train Award, and three MTV awards in 2000, and she continues to influence the R&B and Soul genre. Perhaps she even served as inspiration for young John Legend, who made his first commerical debut on this song.  

4. “So Good” (1999)

Album: The Writing’s on the Wall

Artist: Destiny’s Child

This album put Destiny’s Child on the map and showed that they would be the new R&B group to ring in the new year. At the time, Destiny’s Child consisted of four members, all of whom were member of the girl group Girls Tyme. After this album, two memebers would leave the group and be replaced by Michelle Williams and Farrah Franklin. Destiny’s Child continued to dominate the music scene all over the world for the early parts of the 2000s.

5. “Giving Him Something He Can Feel” (1992)

Album: Funky Divas

Artist: En Vogue

This song is a cover by Aretha Franklin’s 1976 “Giving Him Something He Can Feel.” This song easily fell into the top 10 of Billboard’s top 100 songs. 

6. “Hold On (Hip Hop)” (1990)

Album: Born to Sing

Artist: En Vogue

The song starts of with a beautiful a capella cover of “Who’s Lovin’ You.” This song received numerous nominations and awards as the debut single for the Born to Sing album. 

7. “Weak” (1992)

Album: It’s About Time

Artist: SWV

SWV is most know for this song. After holding the top spot on Billboard’s international charts, the song went platinum in 1993. The song was covered in 2003 by Jojo and it continues to be one of the most memorable love anthems to come out of the 1990s.