This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Public outcry about the suspected Syrian chemical attack in the town of Khan Sheikhoun, killing over 80 civilians, has been seen throughout the world. The most notable reaction is, of course, President Donald Trump’s decision to send missiles into Syria’s Shayrat airbase.

The strike came only one day after the United Nations Security Council met regarding the attack in which Nikki Haley alluded to the U.S. taking matters into its own hands, stating “when the United Nations consistently fails in its duty to act collectively, there are times in the life of states that we are compelled to take our own action.” Following the strike, another statement by Haley at a Security Council meeting was, “We are prepared to do more. But we hope that will not be necessary.” Knowing her sentiments about the U.S. taking its own action were not empty words, should people expect future strikes based off of the second statement? There can only be speculation for now. However, it seems that the strike was more of a statement than anything else, seeing as Russian forces at the base were warned. This was not meant to harm or start a war, but to send a message. Now that a message of zero tolerance for Bashar al-Assad’s regime’s treatment of rebels has been relayed, does this mean that the U.S. is prepared to go against Assad, and in turn, Russia?

The U.S.’s foreign policy regarding the Syrian civil war has focused on thwarting ISIS, but now some focus has shifted onto Assad. This doesn’t mean that people have heard the last of the U.S. in regards to ISIS, but the strike has now altered America’s role regarding Syria. Retaliation from the U.S. could now be expected after any future violence in Syria where Assad is a suspect based off of Haley’s statements. Trump has said before that he wants to “eradicate” ISIS, and has now put pressure on Assad. 

It’s too early on for there to be talks about the possibility of American soldiers being placed on the ground in Syria. There’s no indication that the U.S. would go to war with Syria without Russian backing due to the repercussions, but Haley did have a tough stance on Assad along with Russia. With no solution in sight for the Syrian Civil War, and with the situation being so complicated, no one knows for sure what to expect. 

Photos by City Year and Beshr Abdulhadi