Fantastic Beasts And…Why We’re Excited

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Calling all Harry Potter fans! Have you seen the gloriousness that is the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them trailer? If the answer is yes, keep reading. If the answer is no, stop everything you’re doing and watch it right now. Seriously, ignore that paper you’re trying to write or calc homework you were trying to finish and enjoy this video. Don’t worry, we’ll wait.

If you’ve been living under a rock (or maybe just aren’t a big of a Harry Potter fan as I am), Fantastic Beasts is a spin-off trilogy that will release its first film in November this year. The film starts Eddie Redmayne (whose beautiful freckles you may recognize from Les Miserables or The Theory of Everything)as Newt Scamander, an expert in magical creatures. We may not be seeing the tales of Harry, Ron, and Hermione anymore, but it’s still a chance for our muggle minds to take a trip back to the wizarding world. 

So, what else is so great about this upcoming movie? The original series is set in England, so the audience sees a lot of the British wizarding world, but the rest of the planet is left unmentioned. The Fantastic Beasts movies will be set in New York in the 1920s, so we will finally get a glimpse of what wizards are like in America. Another great thing? We will get many, many glimpses of the amazing Eddie Redmayne. (Can you tell I have a huge celebrity crush on Eddie Redmayne?)

The trailer, released last week, includes the famous “Hedwig’s Theme” melody you’ve heard so many times and sometimes gives you chills when you’re listening to it while studying. (Wait, just me?) The trailer even includes a name drop of the one and only Albus Dumbledore. It’s casual. 

Unfortunately, we still have to make it through the next 8 months before we can see this masterpiece in the making. November 18th can’t come fast enough!

Kendall is pursuing a bachelors in journalism and a masters in emerging media in at the University of Georgia. After joining Her Campus UGA in the fall of 2015, she became one of the team's Campus Correspondents in fall 2016. During this time, HC UGA has flourished, moving from the Bronze level all the way to Pink, and it has been selected for national partnerships including the Her Campus Tour in 2018. Kendall hopes to someday work in the intersection of technology and journalism, and she adores books, travel, volunteering, and the color teal.