Erika Kimmich: Demosthenian Literary Society

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Meet this week’s campus celebrity, Erika Kimmich!

Erika is UGA senior who will be graduating this December. The Athens native is a Communications major who would like to do anything from public relations to being a communications specialist or something that lets her write with her degree. In fact, the broadness of her major is one of the things she loves about it.

She also loves Athens and you can catch her all over it, whether she’s volunteering at her church, working at Adams Optics or at meetings for FDSA (Fashion Design Student Association). Even with all this going on, she always manages to look perfectly put together in classically preppy ensembles and have a friendly attitude to boot.

“The community brings together a lot of different people and different backgrounds. Athens is a fun place to learn,” says Erika.

While she has plenty on her plate, she’s very involved with the Demosthenian Literary Society in particular, acting as the club’s historian. Not only does she participate in the debate society, which fuels her passion for public speaking, she also records their meetings by taking photos and looking back at the previous records.

“It’s a really cool way for people of all different types of majors to get together and find common things to talk about and a common thing they like doing.” Erika tells us when asked about what makes it so special.

A Demosthenian Literary Society special event, the Inter-Society Debate, falls on her birthday this year, March 27 at 7:30. While she won’t be debating as the Demosthenian Literary Society goes head to head with their rivals, Phi Kappa, you can bet that she be documenting the event. If you’re interested in attending it, the event is open to the public, as are the weekly Demosthenian meetings which are every Thursday at 7. 

I'm a fourth year History major (No, not a senior!) who loves writing, hanging out with friends, television, and of course, UGA!
Danielle is a senior at the University of Georgia majoring in English and minoring in Sociology. You can usually find her dividing her time between being Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UGA, binge-watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix and daydreaming about being one of Beyonce's backup dancers. If you want to know more about Danielle, you can follow her on Instagram (@danielleknecole_) or Twitter (@DanielleKnecole).