This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

The Edge of Seventeen is a soon to be released coming-of-age style movie. It has been compared to The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, and Clueless. The star of the movie, Hailee Steinfeld, plays Nadine, a painfully awkward teenager who is struggling her way through high school. She’s goofy and insecure, but pretty relatable. Nadine’s world falls apart when her best friend Krista starts dating her older brother who she can’t stand.

The family dynamic in the movie was very interesting. Unfortunately, Nadine’s father passed away when she was 13, and the whole family is still feeling the aftershocks of that four years later. Nadine’s brother is the sterotypical popular high school jock, but he also has to take on a lot of responsibility as the man of the house. Nadine and her mother have never gotten along, and the loss of Nadine’s father certainly didn’t make things any easier. 

A lot of the time, Nadine is the kind of protagonist you love to hate. Her sass is hilarious, and her awkward moments make you cringe in your seat. Sometimes while watching I felt like she was very immature and selfish, but that’s not unusual for a seventeen year old girl! One of my favorite parts of the movie was Nadine’s relationship with her history teacher. Her quick-witted comments eventually turn him into someone Nadine can count on.

And of course, what’s a teen movie without a love interest? This movie is complete with classroom crushes, a ferris wheel, and…aliens? We don’t want to spoil anything, so check out the movie to see how it all plays out.

Watch the trailer here!

Her Campus UGA was lucky enough to be invited to an advance screening of the film, so we got to see it early, but you can catch it in theaters this Friday, November 18th! 

Kendall is pursuing a bachelors in journalism and a masters in emerging media in at the University of Georgia. After joining Her Campus UGA in the fall of 2015, she became one of the team's Campus Correspondents in fall 2016. During this time, HC UGA has flourished, moving from the Bronze level all the way to Pink, and it has been selected for national partnerships including the Her Campus Tour in 2018. Kendall hopes to someday work in the intersection of technology and journalism, and she adores books, travel, volunteering, and the color teal.