Ashley Becerra: Child Care Taker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Our newest campus celebrity is Ashley Becerra, a freshman here at UGA and comes to us from Paterson, New Jersey. As a Human Development and Family Science major, Ashley is able to study both children and families to learn about how she can make a difference in their lives. After receiving her Bachelor’s degree in Human Development and Family Science, she hopes to pursue career that revolves around infants and toddlers.

Being of Guatemalan heritage, Ashley made sure to get involved with the Hispanic Student Association on campus. The Hispanic Student Association promotes the diversity of Latino culture and works to encourage success amongst the Latino students on campus. Having never been involved with a Hispanic organization before coming to UGA, Ashley feels happy to be a part of the organization because she feels so much more empowered to reach success and be a leader to others.  While Ashley may not be involved in any other organizations at the moment, next semester she looks forward to joining more campus activities.

When she isn’t in classes or attending a club meeting, you can find Ashley hanging out with friends or relaxing in her dorm. One of her favorite spots on campus is the Founders Memorial Garden. She thinks it’s so beautiful and that with a good book to read, she could stay there all day. So far, her favorite memory at UGA has been the Freshman Welcome. With every other freshman just as scared, nervous, and excited for a new start at UGA, she feels that it was easy to talk and make friends with some of the other students.

While Ashley loves being Dawg, coming to UGA was somewhat of a difficult decision. Both of her older sisters had gone up North for college, but she wanted to be the different sister and go to school in the South. She stands by her decision because attending UGA has allowed her to learn and experience so many new things.

A student journalist at the University of Georgia, Brittini Ray has been writing for HCUGA since fall 2011. This past spring, she became the president of Her Campus UGA. Brittini also interns for zpolitics.com. She hopes to learn more about news and the journalsim industry.   Follow Brittini on Twitter